Theft Insurance for cabin

Options
Hairfarm
Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
Can anyone recommend insurance for an off grid cabin? I'd like to insure primarily against theft.

Pros Cons?

thanks,

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Theft Insurance for cabin

You really need to ask people with cabins in the same area as yours. It's like what Real Estate agents always say; "The three most important things about real estate are commission, commission, commission!" :p

Er, no. That's location, location, location isn't it?

Depending on where you're located, different companies will assign different risk factors to your rate.

Then when you file a claim, they up the risk factor, up your premiums, and don't come up with a settlement.
    (Sorry; I've had a lot of bad experience with insurance companies including this very issue. I'm more than somewhat jaded.)
  • Hairfarm
    Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Options
    (Sorry; I've had a lot of bad experience with insurance companies including this very issue. I'm more than somewhat jaded.)

Yeah, I am too. Now, I pay an old retired police captain and marine $25 a month to keep an eye on the place for me. Maybe I'll have to "Google" booby traps. ;)

Anybody have any good ideas to keep a cabin safe from thieves, short of breaking the law?
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I insure for fire/storm damage with a whopping deductible to keep the coverage affordable. Also, I figure I will repair any damage of a couple of grand, my labour being the bulk anyway.

We have some theft coverage,, but with a high deductible it isn't going to cover much, unless we get cleaned out. To some great extent you get what you pay for.

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Throw 'em a bone.

Thieves are opportunists and will walk off with whatever is easiest to take. We have several sheds, all locked, and the valuable stuff is divided between them. It would take a considerable amount of time and effort to break into, search, and haul off every generator, chainsaw, et cetera. You can slow thieves down, but you can't really stop them. I always bring the Honda 2000 away with me, so when I come back I know I'll have some sort of power even if they've taken the solar panels, Honda 1000, Coleman 5kW, Onan ... If they walk off with that last one they'll be easy to catch; look for the limping guys with the hernias! :p

The last thing I had stolen was a spare tire for the boat trailer; the only thing that wasn't fastened down securely or too heavy to pick up.