Flywheel energy storage...have you used it?

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has used Flywheel energy storage for any system and how it worked out?

Do you think it will gain speed with solar?

Beacon has it available.
http://www.beaconpower.com/products/about-flywheels.asp

Also Active Power
http://www.activepower.com/

I'm just learning about all of this Solar Industry and came across Flywheel as a possible option to battery storage.

...any other thoughts about it?

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Flywheel energy storage...have you used it?

We talked about that company about two years ago in this thread:

Flywheel based electrical storage

It may make some sense for Wind Farms (highly variable power)--but it seems like it is pretty expensive and has high losses laid against the mechanical safety issues.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Common application is for temporary power to fulfill the gap between when grid goes down and time it take to bring a diesel generator online for UPS application without batteries.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks you guys.
    Do you think there will be a day that it could be sustained in place of a battery bank.

...like I said...I'm still just learning

Thanks again
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I would not place a big bet on it... Spinning Mechanical stuff just has too many losses and wear points to be an efficient (multi-day to multi-week) storage element. Batteries, pumped water, etc. where you get "static energy storage" just seem to be where it is at in my crystal ball--Your crystal ball may vary. ;)

Flywheels are good for instant energy use over short periods of time, like RCinFLA said...

I remember reading about coming flywheel powered buses in the early 1970's (charge at city bus stops) when I was still in high school. And yet, San Francisco still has lots of trolley wires strung around the city.. Lots of history there.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset