Options
2»

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: battery banks "Thinking out loud"

Sir
    Truth is I am doing some affiliate marketing and right now I am promoting a wind generator site and I figured this would be the place to find out about the types of batteries to use with a wind generator. Being as I am going to try and build my own energy system, and I do not want to have to buy the e-book myself. So I am bugging all the know how to builders for all the free info I can get. It is sort of like asking for directions, I will if I have to but I sure don't want to here is a link to my site

Windridder
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Windridder--Make power at home is almost always a waste of money for the ebook or whatever they are selling. Even you, I guess, don't think it is worth buying their ebook.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    Options

Sir
    Truth is I am doing some affiliate marketing and right now I am promoting a wind generator site and I figured this would be the place to find out about the types of batteries to use with a wind generator. Being as I am going to try and build my own energy system, and I do not want to have to buy the e-book myself. So I am bugging all the know how to builders for all the free info I can get. It is sort of like asking for directions, I will if I have to but I sure don't want to here is a link to my site
  • System2
    Options

BB

From what I have read the information in make power at home is more than worth the value they are asking. It is just that I have been messing with dc alternators most of my life in one way or another I do not think I need to be instructed in the use of PVC, metal and a alternator conversion system I just needed to know the best batteries to use and any information would be sure appreciated thanks.

delete link to affiliate marketing blog -Bill B. Moderator
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

the same batteries that are used for solar are usable for wind.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Deep cycle batteries... There are less expensive brands and more expensive brands... There are flooded cell (less expensive) and AGM/Sealed (2x the costs). And there are traction/fork lift batteries which can handle higher currents, deeper cycles, but they also can be less efficient (upwards of 2% per day power loss for an old set of cells).

My self, I like to recommend one or two parallel strings of large AH / Capacity cells vs 10 parallel strings of small capacity batteries.

And if you parallel two or more strings of batteries, you should put a series protection fuse/breaker on each string (which drives up the wiring costs and complexity of the bank too).

There are a couple of battery FAQ's which will help you understand the batteries better:

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
    www.battteryfaq.org
    Parallel Wiring for Battery Banks

Our host sells batteries that they believe to be good vendors--both lower cost and higher cost ranges...

You can start there--but since batteries are very expensive to ship, many times you will end up working with a local distributor when everything is taken into account.

Since batteries are so expensive, many folks start with a low cost set first (like golf cart 6 volt cells) and run them for 3-5 years--then buy a better set (perhaps even AGM) once they have worked out the issues with their system.

AGM's are about the perfect battery (no maintenance, more efficient than flooded cell batteries, more efficient, cleaner, etc.)--however they are expensive and not very tolerant of some mistakes (like over charging). Flooded cell can take more goofs--assuming you keep them at level with distilled water and don't boil them dry (or let them sit for weeks/months below ~75% state of charge--which will kill most lead acid batteries).

For wind turbines, typically, they use diversion controllers--basically the battery charge controller just dumps excess power to a load bank (electric heater). Not as accurate method of charge control--so you need to watch your bank closely (under charging and over charge are both very hard on batteries).

Are you looking for brand names, sizes of cells, 12 vs 48 volt banks, or what...?

If you are interested in building a wind turbine--A couple of very good websites to visit:

www.otherpower.com (DYI wind turbines including a forum)
    www.builditsolar.com (many DYI energy projects)

Building a working and safe wind turbine can be a very interesting project--but it is not simple and easy to do well. Put it at the top of a 60'+ tower and installation costs + maintenance become major issues too. The other missing element with solar of any time is LOCATION--if you don't have the sun or the wind--then no matter what you put out there--collecting useful amounts of energy will be difficult.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

From windridders site:

1)you just need a couple of things - a couple of hundred dollars, a couple of weekends, one to assemble the parts, one to put them together, and years to enjoy the freedom from the financial burden of the electrical grid.
    2) And dig this, if you use less electricity than you produce, the grid pays you! Talk about a way to get $ even, the average family spends more on their electric bill in a month than what it will cost to build a solar energy house

A pure scam site - maybe the guy doesn't realize it but the whole proposal is nothing but a shyster scam.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    1965GMC wrote: »
    When I fist got the inverter, I tested it on a 12V care battery, turned on every thing on and the power lasted about 45min before the battery voltage dropped from 12V to 10V which should be about 75 to 80% of power left in the battery.
    I know you said that you did that just for a test, but you do know that you cannot use car batteries for a solar application, right? Car batteries are designed to provide a lot of current for a short period of time; if you load them down for longer periods they will fail very quickly.