mix and match panels

Options
BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
We need to know the exact Vmp / Imp of the panels, and how they are configured (parallel, series, series/parallel) and what your battery bank voltage is.

In general, you match Vmp to Vmp within 10% for parallel connections, and match Imp to Imp within 10% for series connections... You will have relatively little power loss.

If you "match" panel voltage/currents way outside the 10% range, you can loose lots of power.

-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: mix and match panels

do know that the 10% figures mentioned are somewhat arbitrary as there is some loss within the 10% too. the closer to the current for series and the closer to the voltage for parallel the better and depends on what may be acceptable to a person. personally i feel 10% is too far out, but that's just me.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: mix and match panels
    niel wrote: »
    do know that the 10% figures mentioned are somewhat arbitrary as there is some loss within the 10% too. the closer to the current for series and the closer to the voltage for parallel the better and depends on what may be acceptable to a person. personally i feel 10% is too far out, but that's just me.
    I agree with you niel. I have 1 inverter with 14 Kyocera Kc 158G on one inverter. I had 12 Sharp 167 u3a on other inverter. I put 2 of the kc 158 panels with the 12 sharp and I think the 2 158 watt panels pulled the watts down on the 12sharp 167 watt panels to match them. I have been checking them and the 12 167 watt panels with the 2 158 watt panels are measuring identical amounts of power as the 14 158 watt panels I do have 2 175 watt mitsubushi panels that I am going to try with 12 . the 167 watt panels. Even if the 167 watt panels pulls the watts from the 2 175 watt panels I will still gain power. S:Dlarvic