Toyhauler Solar

I'm new to the solar power world, but have been watching and reading and hopefully learning. I have a toyhauler with a 5500 watt genset. I'm going to add solar so I don't have to run the generator all the time for the small 12 volt use. I have 2 T-145 Plus 6 volts in it now. I'm using an AIMS 1000 watt pure sine inverter and a 30 amp 3 way transfer switch. I have a remote control for the AIMS and a seperate battery monitor panel. I'm thinking I will add 2 Kyocera Solar KD-135 135 Watt 12 Volt Panels, roof mounted with a Go Power 25 AMP PWM controller for solar charging. I know it won't keep me off generator, but should lower the use. Any comments would be great. I'm trying to stay within a budget I've set after upgrading the toyhauler. Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Toyhauler Solar

You've left out the most important piece of information: what are you wanting tor run from this set-up?
    Without knowing the load you can't determine how much inverter/battery/panel you need.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Always seem to forget something important. Mostly lights, cell phone or laptop charging, and some TV, < than 2 hours a night. I cook with gas and coffee on the stove. I figure about 100 amp hours a day at the most. On hunting trips, the furance blower will draw the batteries down at night, and that will be the largest draw on the system. I will fire up the genset to charge batteries when the solar can't cut it. Usually stay out for 5-7 days max.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

So you have a target of approximately 1200 Watt/hours per day, and if it runs out you start the generator?
    That we can deal with! :D

Rough calculations:
    100 Amp/hrs required = 200 Amp/hrs of battery = 20 Amps charge rate (peak) = 240 Watts of usable solar = approximately 300 Watts of panels.
    What the efficiency factor will do to this is 'make everything worse' basically. For instance, in a non-fixed application you can't always get the best angle/exposure on the panels so you probably won't achieve that 80% output over 4 hours we like to count on for charging.

The charge controller should be fine, but the panels at 270 Watts may be marginal. Maybe get two slightly larger panels (which could be a problem as they inevitably either 24 Volt or MUCH larger or much more expensive) or leave room for a third panel in case you need it.

It's pretty close. Others may have additional information and spot something I've missed.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks for the info, I was hoping my calc was close. The genset offers some room for error! Do you think I have enough batteries? I have room for 2 more, if needed, but figured I can barely generate enough charge power now without another panel. I noticed you're in BC, I'm heading up there this fall for a moose hunt. I'm in SLC, UT.