up in the winter for better capacity.

Has anyone experimented with rigging the
caps with a vent line to vent outside, while
keeping the batteries inside and warm?

Comments

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Re: Venting??

Hydrogen can cause a real impressive boom with corresponding damage!

The gas collects in places you would never imagine just waiting for the right time.

Static electricity is more than adequate to ignite H2 as well.

At best, the wife might be a bit upset if you blew out a wall or two! At worst we don't want to talk about really - better to vent the thing well.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

I guess if you can setup a plastic tube from cap to outside--should not be a problem.

I have worked with motorcycle, aircraft, and even car batteries that have a separate vent line (molded into the battery case) to dump outboard (probably mostly to keep sulfuric acid from the internal hardware).

Just make sure the end of the vent line cannot siphon up water back into the battery when they cool down.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

Vent! Please vent!! Might I suggest http://zephyrvent.com/
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Zepher fan, with a voltage controlled controller to turn it on at gassing voltage,,,

Tony
  • czyhorse
    czyhorse Solar Expert Posts: 42 ✭✭

I've always wondered if it was safe to run your vent into your attic if you have vents along your roof's ridgeline. In theory, shouldn't the H2 go up and out the ridgeline vents?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    czyhorse wrote: »
    I've always wondered if it was safe to run your vent into your attic if you have vents along your roof's ridgeline. In theory, shouldn't the H2 go up and out the ridgeline vents?

Then why bother venting, if it's just going to escape out the crack at the top of the door?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

Hydrogen will always go up and away if there is a path.

İt will also collect in any closed location where it can not go up and away.

You just have to be sure to have or provide the direct path to the out of doors.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Solar mechanical room hooded DC venting system with extractors to outside. Located over tiered battery banks.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Hydrogen should vent up, but I don't think it has the "power" to push a column of cold air out of a vent pipe. I have trouble when it is really cold having my LP fridge venting properly. The column of cold is dense enough that the fridge burner can't push it out.

Be careful,,,

Tony