Honda eu2000i gererator, question before I buy

Options
YostFMX
YostFMX Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
#1: Are wall outlets in all homes 15 AMP MAX (1600 watts)?

#2: If that is so, then will a Honda eu2000i run any one item that you can buy thats 110V AC?

#3: I want to run one of those small portable air conditioners (300 sq. ft.), will it work?

#4: Is there anything I couldn't run on a Honda eu2000i?

#5: Will all power tools work on one (other then a 110 welder)?

I'm going to be using it for power tools to build my house, power tools for my garage, small portable air conditioner, and for back up power for my off grid solar/for charging. Will this work/be the best generator for me? (I will only be using one at a time)

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Honda eu2000i gererator, question before I buy

I've got the honeywell 2000 inverter unit, and it has trouble starting the worm drive and skil saws. (big heavy blades at high RPM). I have to click the switch a couple times, to get it spinning, before I can hold it down.
    Problem with inverter units, they have no surge capacity. What's on the DC buss is all you have. Depending on the draw of the air conditioner at start up, it may overload, even without the eco-throttle enabled.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Some hopefully helpful answers from the "ask the man who owns one" department. :D
    YostFMX wrote: »
    #1: Are wall outlets in all homes 15 AMP MAX (1600 watts)?

15 Amps @ 125 Volts = 1875 Watts. No, the 2000 will not supply this. Also keep in mind that a 15 Amp breaker will not trip the moment current exceeds the limit. I have found the Honda will fault before the breaker will trip. (Some home outlets are 20 Amp, btw.)
    #2: If that is so, then will a Honda eu2000i run any one item that you can buy thats 110V AC?

Nope. Like Mike said, there's a matter of surge. And a certain de-rating of the Honda's output is necessary because it is probably not operating under 'ideal' conditions. I originally used mine to power a 1/3 HP water pump. It didn't work very well, as the start-up current was enormous. An ordinary 'household outlet' would handle it fine.
    #3: I want to run one of those small portable air conditioners (300 sq. ft.), will it work?

Probably not. AC units can have worse start-up currents than water pumps. You'd need the specs of the AC, and that usually doesn't tell you the start current; just the run. Are you sure you need AC?
    #4: Is there anything I couldn't run on a Honda eu2000i?

Lots, I'm sorry to say. Like Mike mentioned, major power tools will defeat it.
    #5: Will all power tools work on one (other then a 110 welder)?

It all comes down to current. Consider the 2000's maximum running current as the surge limit for whatever you want to plug in to it.

I'm going to be using it for power tools to build my house, power tools for my garage, small portable air conditioner, and for back up power for my off grid solar/for charging. Will this work/be the best generator for me? (I will only be using one at a time)

You might be better off with battery-power tools and/or a larger generator if you need to run that 10" Dewalt table saw. Honda makes a 3000iSA unit as well: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=p2gg&category=sq

That might be more suitable for your needs.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

And having several gensets for different jobs is not the worst things either...

Use the smaller Honda for small loads that run for long periods... And use a cheap old 5,000 watt for the random heavy loads (power tools, well pump, etc.).

If you have needs for the larger/long term loads--The larger Honda and Yamaha's may be a better fit.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • YostFMX
    Options

Is the EU2000iA the same as what people call the "EU2000" or "EU200i", is that all one in the same?

I tested out my 14 AMP miter saw on my Dads little Honda 1000 watt (not sure the model, but not the eu1000). It ran it but laged on start up, I was almost sure it would run fine on a 2000 watt generator...

Wow, the EU3000iSA is out, $2,200, no thank you... I'm liking getting an old beaters 4000 watt generator if the EU2000iA doesn't work for all my power tools.

I think I'm still geting one tomorrow.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have two 9000 BTU A/C units at home. One is a mini-split in my "server closet". The EU2000i won't start it - doesn't even try. The generator just bogs down at a slow RPM and nothing happens with the AC unit.

The other is a portable unit, the kind where you roll around and stick the exhaust hose in the window. Oddly enough, that one starts just fine and the generator doesn't even seem to notice it's there, hardly throttling up before settling back down a bit on the EcoThrottle.

So it really depends on how the unit is constructed, as to whether the generator can handle it!

Those are my only two massive loads. Next in line would be the furnace, 800W or so when running. It starts fine on the generator. I've also run my electric lawn mower (18" B&D Lawn Hog), electric chainsaw, and sawzall without trouble. (But not at the same time...)
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are building a house the EU 2000i is great, (use 1/2HP or less and excellent blades) but you should be shifting big loads to an air compressor like 90% of all crew's do. The EU 1000i will run an AC unit, but not a portable and the one I have used is the Sanyo mini split. It is probably out of your price range... I am working on home number 36 right now! "wanna take a ride?"
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Over a year and a half I built my house using two EU 2000s' (not in tandem) running worm drive saws, skil saws, vacs, hammer drills, nailers, glue guns, sawsalls, sanders, painters, chargers you name it.

Shutting down for the day, they ran the lights, TVs' and even the microwave.

They're still running fine. Tough little critters. Just change the oil, clean the spark arrestor, replace the spark plug now and then and wash off the foam air filters. Let er buck!

Rarely needed the 5KW genny.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

The AC in my trailer would not start on one EU2000i. If I paralleled two it would start, I would then I kill the #2 gen and run on just one. Built my house on two.. one for the compressor and the other for saws. Great little units! EU3000 is just too big to be lugged around!
  • YostFMX
    Options
    If you are building a house the EU 2000i is great, (use 1/2HP or less and excellent blades) but you should be shifting big loads to an air compressor like 90% of all crew's do. The EU 1000i will run an AC unit, but not a portable and the one I have used is the Sanyo mini split. It is probably out of your price range... I am working on home number 36 right now! "wanna take a ride?"

This will be my 1 and only little SoCal off grid house (I think), then again I'm only 24... Its going to be built by a army of one (for the most part).

I just got my Honda eu2000i yesterday. I tested it out on, skill saw, 14 AMP miter saw, 10'' table saw, 2 hp air compressor, angle grinder, jig saw and 10 AMP band saw. It worked great on all the tools, no lag on start up other then the 10 AMP band saw, it wouldn't run that. I'm very pleased with it.

Dave Sparks, do you listen to Coast to Coast AM, AKA "Art Bell", "wanna take a ride?"
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad it works for you Yostfmx! And yea, from time to time I hear Art, George and Ian. On late night watches, when I was a yachtsmen down in Panema, it was either spanish on AM band or Mr. Bell.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

"Wanna take a ride?" is also a line from the movie "Contact".
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options

"Hell, I'd go!" - Dan Hicks