New to solar, charging 24 volt battery?

Options
I have a 24 volt, 10 Amp/hour battery for a lawn mower that I'd like to charge with solar power (about every 2-3 days). I've been considering a Morningstar Sunlight 24v charge controller, but I'm not sure if this is what I need.

Can someone help point me in the right direction? Is the 24 volts on the charge controller referring to the panel or the battery I'm charging?

What size panel would you recommend to fully charge a 10 Amp/hour battery in 2-3 days? How about 3-4 days?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: New to solar, charging 24 volt battery?

My starting guess is at least a 70W , 35V panel.
    When a lead acid battery sits below 75% charge, it begins to sulphate. So you want to get it recharged at least to 70% in the first day, to keep sulphation low. At this low power level, nearly any 24v charge controller will work well. I suppose you want to spend all this $$ on solar, because you don't have an extenstion cord in the shop where the mower is? The cord is a lot less $$
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: New to solar, charging 24 volt battery?

now if it is a case of keeping your battery good over the winter months, as that grass isn't so much the problem during cold and snowy times, then as mike said will apply just fine excepting that you don't need the current to be in the 5-13% range for as low as 1 or 2% may suffice for a float charge and thus lower the cost of the pvs and possibly the controller too. using the cord long term wouldn't be a good idea during cold and snowy periods, but solar maintains batteries well even if made more intermittent from snows laying.