DR1524

Hi,

wondering whether Iit is safe to use a Xantrex DR1524 modified sine wave inverter to power an new LG refrigerator/freezer and what types of motors/appliances I cannot power from this unit. I heard the modified sine wave can damage some equipment.

Tnx,

Tom

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: DR1524 Mod Sine Inverter vs Fridge
    tom999 wrote:
    Hi,
    wondering whether Iit is safe to use a Xantrex DR1524 modified sine wave inverter to power an new LG refrigerator/freezer and what types of motors/appliances I cannot power from this unit. I heard the modified sine wave can damage some equipment.
    Tom

I don't know for sure, but I suspect you are "treading on thin ice" ! Try it and see which fails first. The motor WILL run extra hot, and the Inverter WILL not like it. If there is enough extra capacity in the inverter, it will survive long enough to cook the motor.
    My nickel's worth. Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Re: DR1524

Tom
    I lost 2 refrigerators to MSW inverters before I figured out what the problem was. The inverter I was using is a DR 2512. I switched to an Outback 3 years ago and no more problems. The refers lasted about 10 months before they died. Both died during the hot summer months, so the motors probably overheated and burned up.
    Larry
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hey Tom, 2 or 3 years ago I was in your situation. The MSW inverters were affordable and I couldn’t see any reason why everything shouldn’t be just fine. After all, the compressor started right up, almost as quickly as on grid power. The good folks on here told me I was asking for trouble, but I couldn’t see it. In time, I did some actual testing and sure enough, I found that induction motors, like used in regular refer units, pumps etc used about 20% more power on MSW than if operated on pure sine and that extra power was turned into heat. (Just like they told me)
    I have been getting away with operating my Chest Fridge on MSW for about 2 ½ years now, but it only runs 6 minutes out of every 45, so doesn’t have time to heat up. Same for my ½ hp submersible pump out in the lake, but DEFINITELY a pure sine inverter is in the works for me, hopefully before something gets fried, and because the motors use that extra 20% of very valuable solar energy while operating on MSW.
    Wayne
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks all...This inverter is with battery backup strictly in case of power outage, which means it idles 99% of the time, but I will look for a pure sine wave unit anyway.