45 Watt System

For all those looking for that small starter kit at at a good price, it's back down under $200 again. Seems panels all over are making a huge jump up with no exception, even for these 15w panels. These panels work well, even if the controller they supply is junk, it's still a good deal for the panels. Add a $30 7amp controller and two kits and you've got 90w under $450. Canadian tire is offering an 80w panel alone for $699.  :-o Check it out.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90599

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: 45 Watt System

Sounds cheap enough but are they from china (read poor quality). I just bought some KC85s
    dBlues from a solar seller in arizona that sponsors a user forum :lol: for 390 a piece + 17.50
    for the brown truck to deliver them.

brad 8-)
  • System2

Not bad, minus the controller and you have about a wash. What I like about these small panels is the lack of a large investment needed for a hobbist. If you're charging a single battery or just toolin' around for some harmless fun, these will do. Also small enough to mount on car tops or pack with you going camping. As for performance, not bad either. Nine panels bring my small 210hr bank from %80 to %100 in a day. I'm currently running a small air purifier 24/7 off the bank and it keeps up quite well. :-D
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

This 45 W system's current spec is 3,000 mA -- an impressively large number! :wink: However, that probably menas the nominal output voltage is 45 W / 3 A = 15 V. Considering that PV module output voltage drops as module temperature rises, I wonder if these modules would be able to fully charge a 12 V flooded-cell battery. At best, they might work in a cool environment (Canada?) when connected to a Group 24 battery.

I have nothing against "small" systems -- mine isn't particularly large. I just wish that retailers knew more about their merchandise and offered an accurate level of expectation. Having said that, I think I need to to pay a visit to one of my local auto dealers! :lol:

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2

I had used those thin film amorphous 15w panels, and they degraded in output very quickly as compared to the crystalline types. I had an array of 10 of those and was lucky to get half of my investment back once I found they were degrading rapidly. They also suffered terribly from bad connections, as temperature extremes tended to cause the soldered leads and thin metal film to break loose from the glass substrate.

Bob
  • System2

i actually have this same system!! i initially bought 3 panels (45 watts) but orderd 90 more watts (6 more panels)for a total of 135 watts
    . 45 watts seems to let us watch t.v. for a good 3 hours per day.i can only imagine with 90 more watts. do you guys know what kind of quality or brand they are?? they seem to be a good deal. also the wires they come with seem pretty thin, should i upgrade to thicker wires? if so what size?
    also you mention that the charge controler is bad quality. i am ooking to get a better charge controller but our situation will involve each set of 3 panels in different sections around our trailer. we have somewhat shade, but plan on having each 3 unit system around the trailer where all in all at least one of the units will be getting sun at any given time.
    we have one 45 unit in front of the trailer. the other second unit would be behind the trailer, and the third unit will be off to the side of the trailer. in the morning, the unit in front of the trailer will get light for about 3 hours at which point the unit behind the trailer will get 3 hours of sun per day and then in the afternoon, the 3rd unit will get sun, off to the side of the trailer, as the sun moves in the day it will give light to the panels. this being the case, would i need a seperate charge controller for each 3 panel unit? or can i run all 3 panels with one charge controller, even though they wil not all be getting sun at the sametime? am new to solar energy. any info would definetly help.

thank you.