newbie .... new system .... and a what if question....

Options
richardg
richardg Registered Users Posts: 7
I have an off the grid seasonal cabin located in Northern Canada. I have 4 kyocera 140 12 volt panels wired to provide 48 volts to my mx 60 located in the cabin with my batteries. This charges my 48 volt battery bank. I choose 48 volts as my panels need to be 220 feet from my cabin and I did not want my batteries subject to the extrem cold we get in the winter. I use a 3 wire #2 cable wich i scrounged from work to pipe the juice to my mx60. Now the question. I decided to add a wind mill and ordered a 48 volt Airx with internal controller. This two need to be located near my solar panels. What I didnt think about though was I can not tie into my cable to the cabin because if my solar panels were charging 48+ volts my airx would brake and not charge. Another chunk of cable is very expensive.
Any ideas or am I stuck to trying to find another piece of cable.
Thankyou in advance
Rich

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: newbie .... new system .... and a what if question....

richardg,

I may be missing something here, but it seems to me that you'd want to connect the AIR-X' controller outputs to the battery terminals in parallel with the MX60 output connections. If the AIR-X is 220 feet away from the cabin containing the MX60, then I think you'll need some additional wire from the AIR-X to the batteries in the cabin.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • richardg
    richardg Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options

thnks for the reply crewzer
    i was hopng someone had a idea how to tie in the two (pv and wind)
    wire is just so damn expensive......
    rich
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

just be glad you aren't piping more current down that long run or you may find yourself looking for more wire. :-) you could take that 3rd wire and double up on the - lead to lower the resistance more. i just picked that one because most use that one for grounding, but either could be doubled up. btw that's a neat typo as the kc140 doesn't exist yet so i assume that you meant kc130s. :-o :roll: :-D
    if you decide that you want to check on the voltage drop and its percentage then go to the voltage drop calculator in the sticky of this section on general solar topics. you need excel or it's equivalent to run it. btw for 2 #2 wires in parallel, it is equal to 3 gauges larger or 00 gauge.