idea on making solar tracker

Options
solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
:D Just wandering if anyone here has tryed to make a tracker? I have been thinking of an idea. Got a toyota I want to junk. Thinking of taking the rearend out of it. I could cut one end off it below where the driveshaft connects and get that part welded to end of pipe that will go in ground. Get a short piece of pipe welded on the brake drum to mount a solar rack too. Either connect a motordrive on the end of driveshaft or else use a satelite arm to turn the dish on its axis. I have some old satelite receivers that you can program to move the rack 4 or 5 times a day and back to east after sundown. I already have most of the parts except the rack. I don,t have to have any quick answers but thinking this to be a summertime project. guess i will have to get the watts meter out and see how much power it takes to keep the satelite receiver fired up. I do have to take 2 of my racks down and change thier poles as 1 shades the other a little while. What happened is I put 2 racks next to the end of my garage. and 2 more racks in front of them as the ground level is about 6 feet lower. I had trouble getting a rack and got the first one I could get and I needed a landscape rack but ended up with a picture frame rack. So now I got to put the picture frame rack in back and the landscape rack in the front. So I have a rack I can try. If that works I might buy a rack that will hold 6 panels as I still have 4 panels to install. Vic

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: idea on making solar tracker

solarvic there are a couple of good thrreads discussing the amount of increase one can get from a tracker, max ~ = 25% at best. they're a good read. for me another panel is cheaper to get more power.
    A manually moved rack is a good idea from my perspective.

HTH
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Re: idea on making solar tracker

Here are a few threads (just a quick search--I have not reviewed them):

RedRok Solar Tracker

New Solar Tracker Company
    Solar Trackers for PV -- Worth it ?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset