Solar Cells Are Getting Pretty Reasonable These Days

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
This years project is to add 8 more Home-made Solar Panels to compliment my existing system. That would bring me to a grand total of 25 panels. The issue with the design originally was that I greatly over sized the battery banks to which the panels and wind turbines could barely maintain the proper voltage and give it a good charging. I've noticed that the cells (Polycrystaline) made by Schott 4x4 are falling to under $2.00 per watt. From an auction posting on the Bay, LifestylePhoto has them by the 100 for $185.00 with tabs. I can vouch for this seller even though the not-so-great rating with applause since I've ordered from them before. They do sell what they describe. And of course my panels are around 7 months old without a hitch, still producing good even with the cold temps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-4x4-Schott-Solar-Cell-200-Watts_W0QQitemZ260539028816QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca9561550

BB.,

From this link, what's the maximum output of these cells ?

Is it 2 watts or are they using it as an average ?

Where do they get 4amps out of one cell ? If that was true I'd be getting 2448 amps from my array and it'd blow itself clear to the moon. I don't care for green cheese, either.
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Re: Solar Cells Are Getting Pretty Reasonable These Days

I believe 4 amps per cell x 36 cells in a typ. panel is still 4 amps...
    voltage increases in series wired cells...
    .5 volts per cell x 36=18 volts aprox. panel @ 4 amps
    please correct me if i amp wrong, thanks
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

why would one buy cells at $1.85/w when you can get a complete panel made in the USA selling at $1.74/w. Would you being doing this for the fun of it?

Cheers...
    Damani
  • GreenPowerManiac

Show us where to get a solar panel for just 1.74 per watt.

I build my own for about $100 per panel @ 72 watts and enjoy making them.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I don't want to offend our site sponsor, but there is a legit retailer in Florida that has been selling them for under $1/watt in the last month. They are currently (1/16/10) priced at $1.74/watt. Do a google search with what I have given you, you should be able to find them.
  • GreenPowerManiac

Don't concern yourself, Icarus. He knows....

Just bought the Schott Solar cells (4x4) from the earlier auction at .95 cents per watt or $1.90 per cell out-the-door. Made an offer expecting a rejection and got what I wanted. Business must be pretty bad. Oh well, good for those who wish to build their own, I guess. I'm trying to keep my expenses to a minimum to build the 8 panels. So far I've got it down to just over 100 bucks and that includes 95% of the supplies. Already got the small change hardware (nuts & bolts & screws).

Trying not to use too many things "On Hand" like the Earth4*nergy scam. Their listing is funny for components needed. About 5 of the 10 components say "On Hand" and tell you about the expensive stuff making it 98 bucks flat. "Find this on eBay", "Buy only cracked cells", Yadda yadda yadda.

I guess you can tell I've bought the kit way back when. Before it was deemed a "SCAM", the laugh is on me.....