do it yourself solar???

Options
I have a friend who is trying to get me to check out this system where you make your own solar panels.

http://....scam.....clickbank.net/

anyone have experience with this product?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: do it yourself solar???

It is a pure scam... Earth (something) Energy or Green (something) Energy, etc... All through Click Bank are just MLM (multi-level marketing) sales tools.

-Bill

PS: You can find some information on how to build solar PV panels here and on the web.

Short answer is that it is very difficult to build anything that will last more than a few months in the sun/weather and the larger panels (50-100+ watts) are actually fire hazards because of the plastic and wood that most people use to build the panels.

Panel Fire Question

-BB
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: do it yourself solar???

Fire is the prime reason why the DIYs fail. At least with the sealed type. Anything wooded should breathe and have vent holes. Also, there is no way around condensation forming inside the plexiglass cover other than the ventilation holes and angle at which set. The moisture can drip onto the cells and short them out if not angled properly. I've used an aluminum "J" channel ridge vent on all of them to keep the rain and snow out. They're still working great even with all the snow pack.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.