$25,000 loan from the government

Options
Hello Everyone,
Can anyone tell me if they have heard about the US Treasury or congress passing a bill where the government will lend a home owner $25,000 for a solar electric system (5kw) and then the terms are $20/month for 25 years assessed on the property taxes?
Our engineer mentioned it to me today that he heard something about that but wasn't sure if he heard it correctly.
If anyone could confirm this for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharpdogg

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: $25,000 loan from the government

I have not kept up with that stuff... Try this US Gov website with Federal and State credits/rebates and local solar incentives.

www.dsireusa.org

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

20 dollars a month for 25 years is 6,000.00. Doubtful this is real
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Feds have no authority to levy or collect property taxes. That is strictly under state authority.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Yeah, I know it's only $6,000 that's why we are a bit skeptical about this. But then again look at all the wasteful spending the fed is doing anyway.....this would actually fit right in with their MO.
    And yes I was thinking the same thing about the property taxes and how that is a totally different entity than the fed. But our engineer heard bits and peices twice and thought it was too much of a coincidence not to check on it.
    Thanks for your input.
  • newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

California passed AB811 which allows local gov't to lend money for energy efficiency project and to collect payment via property taxes. It's not automatic and each local government (city or county) has to put their own program together and the money seems to actually come from private investors.

Maybe this is what you were hearing about?