LP Fridge for Off Grid Application

13»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Re: LP Fridge for Off Grid Application

You can save upwards of 800 Watt*Hours per day (or a bit more) with a new, very efficient Energy Star Fridge--But, at this moment, the fridge is probably not your major power issue.

(I will correct your post to Watt*Hours per day ;)).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭

Thanx again BB..... I'm getting my head wrapped around some other issues as well. I am also, when using the generator, watching it very closely for the battery SOC and shutting it down when it's no longer charging. I am wasteful and tend to run it when it's not necessary, apparently much more abuse that I had previously thought. I''m contemplating trying to shut down the genset when it switches from absorb to float or should I shut it down after it's done with the bulk charge. Once a week I will bring it back up to 100%.

Current the only battery meter the I'm using is the very basic Midnite unit. I've owned a tri-metric meter for several years now but never have installed it. I think I need to run some long distance wire from the inverter and battery to inside the house. I know it's not expensive, I just have to DO IT.

If I wanted to start using my DC 8 CF FREEZER immediately, I was wondering how much difference it would be to run it off one of my IOTA chargers. I have both the 12v and 24v units available. Could this be an improvement over my current 8 cf AC freezer. Eventually I'm wanting to switch the AC freezer to a chest type fridge, wife permitting.

I do have lots of options..........
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

there's definitely no need to use a generator to float charge batteries.

it is generally best to bulk charge with a generator early in the day and use solar to absorb charge for better efficient use of the genny, but if there are also loads on the genny or batteries then taking it through the absorb charge may be a good idea if the solar isn't enough to cover those loads and absorb charging too.
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭

The last 24 hours have shown me a some what hungry 8 cf freezer. Kill-a-watt meter came in just under 1 KVA.
  • BB.

Maybe a on the high side a bit (depends on your temperatures there). You try looking up your appliance and compare with others on the Energy Star Web site:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.showProductGroup&pgw_code=FRZ

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ben1son1
    ben1son1 Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I need a replacement fridges for my old Dometic which only needs LP gas once it is started by 110 AC or 12 DC power because I live off the grid and only have power when I there to run the generator!

BEN
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

where are you situated? Close to? Country?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.

Ben maybe near Everatt Everett Washington?

-Bill
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭

We've been through several LP fridges in our 20+ years off the grid, Consul, Dometic, Servel, by far the best one has been our 1940's vintage Servel, just fired it back up last year after sitting idle and exposed to the elements for 5 years, and after some cleaning it still works great. We live in the tropics where summertime temps are routinely in the mid 90's and the old Servel will freeze everything solid if turned up too high. It's not the most efficient fridge and one has to be careful about co2 in a tightly sealed room, but as far as reliability, hands down, nothing beats it, the thing is so old it has a mahogany frame inside, there isn't a refrigerator currently made that will outlast one of these. It is truly a masterpiece of design.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    monoloco wrote: »
    by far the best one has been our 1940's vintage Servel,
    <snip>
    there isn't a refrigerator currently made that will outlast one of these.

I agree that they do seem to last forever, but they are not well insulated, and they have been recalled for some safety issue with the burner.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.

Also be careful with Carbon Monoxide (CO)... There are now good/cheap CO detectors that should be used with a propane refrigerator too.

-Bill
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

I have two old Servels. One from the '30s and the other from the '40s. Both work wonderfully and for my part-time off grid camp, they are perfect. I do have CO detectors in the cabins.

As a side note, I was working as a bush pilot in Northern Ontario in the early 1980s and had flown in to a remote lake to pick up a family of 4. No one came to the dock when I arrived. This was highly unusual. I made my way to the cabin and found the family barely conscious. I dragged them out of the cabin and managed to get them all breathing.

When I looked around the cabin, I noticed that someone has spread wet clothing over the top of the fridge and had covered the vent. Of course, there were signs telling the guests not to do this because of the possibility of CO poisoning.

Every year, at least one outfitter would lose a guest or two due to this very same issue.
  • BB.

Wow--Earned your "angel wings" on that one.

-Bill
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

We use a Servel and have added 2" of XPF foam to the sides and top; covered with white sheet aluminum. I also added latches that secure the two doors against the gaskets much better. And lastly it is vented to the exterior and draws combustion air from the outside as well. Exterior venting is nice in the summer as it also vents the heat extracted from inside the box. The exhaust from the burner is vented separately. In cool weather when we could use the heat in the cabin there are a couple of vent flaps that keeps the non exhaust heat inside.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M