What soap do i use

Jay Allen
Jay Allen Registered Users Posts: 5
I want to clean my panels and want to know what product is best to use?

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: What soap do i use

Dishwashing detergent.
  • Jay Allen
    Jay Allen Registered Users Posts: 5

Is there any product i can use to repel dust?
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

Here's a long shot, but may work:

When done cleaning as described, use some Rain-X and apply. The windshield washer stuff works fine. Dust is hard to get rid of and prevent unless it rains. The Rain-X, will bead the water & debris to easily wash off with a hose and nozzle.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Solar panels are basically great big panes of glass; treat them as such.

You probably won't see much benefit from using Rain-X; it is meant for windshields and needs air movement over it to be truly effective. Nor will 'anti-static' sprays help

Just my experiences. Yours may vary. I hope they're better. :D
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭

My Evergreen panels have epoxy coating on the glass. Check if your's have it too. If so, then be careful using chemicals, test small area in the corner first. The coating increases performance when panel is at an angle to the sun.
  • GreenPowerManiac

My idea was for the beading properties of water & the garden hose, not airflow.

Why chance going up on a rooftop when you can spray it off ?
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

my experience with rainex is that it leaves a slight oily film and it may not be any better than a small amount of dust or dirt on a pv and that dirt can be hosed off. if anything is used, dishsoap is best, but in moderation as more soap can windup leaving a film too.
  • GreenPowerManiac

I shall correct myself. Rain-X windshield washer fluid, not the stuff that's wiped on.

It's virtually free of oils.