How much trickle charging/desulphating is enough?

n1st
n1st Solar Expert Posts: 77 ✭✭✭✭
Greetings,

I have a batteryminder SCC180 desulphator/charger connected to 2 pairs of 6v @225ah batteries. The SCC180 is powered by an 18v laptop switching power supply - which makes me wonder if either + or - output is grounded. It uses about 8 watts when desulphating/trickling. Anyways, I have the bank fully charged and waiting for emergency use. I have the SCC180 on a timer that desulphates/trickle charges the bank 8 hours a day. When it's charging, I hear the batteries softly gurgling. I read somewhere that sullphation starts after about 4 days. What's the concensus on how much chargining/desulphating is enough? ...8 hrs a day, 1 hr a day, 1 hour every other day?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Re: How much trickle charging/desulphating is enough?

I will take a stab at the question... (I am here to learn):

If I understand the controller correctly:
    Features

• Allows you to charge and maintain multiple batteries at a time. Quantity of batteries depends on the size of solar panel(s).
    • Safely charges-maintains-conditions all size and type starter, deep cycle, maintenance-type, maintenance-free, sealed, gelled, AGM or dry-type batteries.
    • Automatically removes (dissolves) harmful sulfation using safe, U.S. patented electronic pulse technology.
    • The unit automatically desulfates both in the charging and the maintenance modes.
    • Guaranteed to never overcharge any battery, regardless of how long connected.
    • No need to add water to maintenance-type batteries during long, non-use storage.
    • Isolation transformer and smart chip technology ensure safe, long-term performance.
    • Shuts off completely when sunlight is reduced with no drain on the batteries.
    • Splash proof, conformal-coated circuitry ensures trouble-free life even in high-moisture marine environments.
    • Allows battery to be stored safely at 0°F to +120°F.
    • Designed and engineered in the USA.
    • Built in strict accordance with ISO 9001 Quality Certification.
    • Full year 100% money-back guarantee takes the risk out of trying this great product.
    • Five (5) year warranty covers everything except physical abuse
    • The unit comes with a Battery Condition Indicator that has a push button for testing the condition of the battery.
    General Specifications
    Input 16-24 volts DC solar power
    Output 12 volts @ 15 Amps
    Charge Voltage 14.2 Vdc
    Float Voltage 13.2 Vdc

Desulfation Pulse Depends on the solar panel @ 3.26 MHz
    Float Current 5 mA - 5 Amp (Depends on the solar panel)2
    Size/Weight 3-3/4" L x 2-1/2" W x 1-1/2" H / 1.6 lbs

You have two questions here...

"Charging the Battery" is the first one. Assuming the controller drops down to ~13.2 volts at ~77F... (once the battery is fully charged)--you can leave the charger connected "forever". If, the charger keeps the battery at >14.0 volts for long periods of time--then you are probably overcharging and it would be better to cut the unit down to a few hours per day (monitor the electrolyte levels--if you are adding a fair amount of distilled water every month for a battery in storage--that is probably too much charging).

The second question is the Desulfator... As I understand the claims, yes, you need to run it for long periods of time (weeks/months) to desulfate a battery bank. I guess, there is not such thing as running a Desulfator too long.

So, this Charger/Desulfator is solar based (you are using a computer power supply for DC power)... The desulfator only runs when there is >XX volts of DC input--so I would guess that the desulfator is running 24 hours per day from your DC supply.

As long as the battery is charged then dropped by to float--I would guess the proper operation would be 24x7 operation.

Checking the battery "float" voltage with an accurate DMM (Digital Multi/Volt Meter) would confirm that this is "good for the battery".

-Bill

PS: Realizing that there is great passion out there whether or not a desulfator actually performs as specified.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Re the de-sulphators that's my understanding too Bill.

I run my four de-sulphators pulsing 24/7. No idea if they are protecting the batteries though. I was told using them on new banks gets the best "results".

I'd like to see some sound technical analysis on their true effectiveness.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    n1st wrote: »
    When it's charging, I hear the batteries softly gurgling

I hope they are flooded batteries, and you have been adding water? some bubbling is fine,

unless they are GEL or AGM. That would be bad if they make noises.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• n1st
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I hope they are flooded batteries, and you have been adding water? some bubbling is fine,

unless they are GEL or AGM. That would be bad if they make noises.

Yes, they are flooded batteries.
  • n1st
    BB. wrote: »
    I will take a stab at the question... (I am here to learn):
    As long as the battery is charged then dropped by to float--I would guess the proper operation would be 24x7 operation.

Checking the battery "float" voltage with an accurate DMM (Digital Multi/Volt Meter) would confirm that this is "good for the battery".

-Bill

Bill, from what I recall, it floats/desulphates at about 13.6v. Thanks for your thoughts.