Most ridiculous power claim ever?

I've seen some good ones, but this has to be the best. I hope it's ok to post this here-it's a 10kW car alternator wind generator. Funny stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10kw-24-29V-WIND-TURBINE-GENERATOR-HD-Flexible-Magnet_W0QQitemZ320448999037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9c3fae7d

I can't believe I wasted 7 minutes of my life watching the video. I wonder when he will be starting a fire in his laundry room..

Comments

• Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Re: Most ridiculous power claim ever?

Small wind is rapidly becoming the carnival midway of renewable energy.

"Step right up, folks! Lower your electric bill to Zee-Ro! That's right, folks! The electric company will be sending YOU a check each month! You there, sir, would ya like to become a guaranteed winner? Step right up!"
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The Ebay link will go away... This is a converted (looks to be a truck) $1,160 (asking price) alternator with a 350 amp diode bridge replacing a 150 amp bridge. Just attach a 2:1 gear box and add some 15+' diameter blades--you too can generate 10kW @28 volts in 35-55 MPH winds.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Funny there's no picture of the actual unit in operation - no Ammeter output image either; just Voltage.
    Oh, and they forgot to mention how it will burn out in a few hours time. (I don't see how windings originally designed for a peak 1200 Watts are going to survive putting out 10X that).

But hey; you can always store the electricity it produces in some lemon batteries*, right?

I mean, ever see the size of a real 10kW wind genny?

Scams like this ought to be illegal.

*The secret to storing RE! All you need is zinc, copper, and a whole lot of citrus fruit! :p
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I would love to see how those terminals would be handling about 360 amps..mabe they made from dehydrated low resistance kryptonite. I read in a comic I think somewhere that a 1/8 in terminal and #8 cable made from dehydrated low resistance kryptonite can withstand 679.3 amps at 546.78 deg F.
    Are these "generators "avialable in bulk at reduced prices? I think it the way to power a city or two. Any one know if the 15ft blades can be sent by FEDex?
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who noticed that in the first paragraph, he admits to how little power it actually outputs?
    You are going to need a minimum of 2hp to test this generator in order to see 25V, @1200rpm, I applied 2.7 ohm resistor (dummy load) across pos & neg and I see 7.2amp on my AMP meter.

Yeah, that's right. For only $1134 (minus blade costs, tower costs, battery costs, electronics costs, wiring costs, among other costs), you too can produce 180 watts @ 1,200 RPM!! 1,200 RPM is only a class 3 hurricane, not a class 4 like their competition requires. Where do I sign up?:roll:
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, in his defense he does state this:
    Gear-up 2:1 recommended for low wind area
    So you really only need 600 RPM. So maybe a class 2 hurricane?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    vcallaway wrote: »

Low wind = not enough power.

Gears or no gears, you can't harvest what isn't there. (And the gears will use up some of the mechanical energy in the wind.)
  • Kevinb
    Kevinb Solar Expert Posts: 26
    myocardia wrote: »
    Am I the only one who noticed that in the first paragraph, he admits to how little power it actually outputs?

Yeah, that's right. For only $1134 (minus blade costs, tower costs, battery costs, electronics costs, wiring costs, among other costs), you too can produce 180 watts @ 1,200 RPM!! 1,200 RPM is only a class 3 hurricane, not a class 4 like their competition requires. Where do I sign up?:roll:
    [/FONT]

He added that after reporting me to ebay for telling him he's full of BS...I then reported him for telling me I am uneducated and "going to hell", and for making fraudulent claims :p

I should post his reply here, it's even funnier than the listing. It's not worth getting sued over though, so I won't.
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    vcallaway wrote: »
    Gear-up 2:1 recommended for low wind area

Ahh, I had forgotten that part. So yeah, his product would only require weak class 2 hurricane winds (~100 MPH) to produce the 180 watts he claims it will produce @ 1,200 RPM, assuming his customer went to the extra trouble and expense of gearing it @ 2:1.
    (And the gears will use up some of the mechanical energy in the wind.)

Very true. But after seeing his "workshop", are any of us really surprised that he doesn't realize that?:D
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)