Solar Backpacks?

Options
Has anyone used a solar backpack? Do they really have the ability to power a laptop and cellphone? I'm travelling in NE Africa next month and won't be near a power source most of the time, so need to find some way to keep the laptop charged. These are the type of solar backpacks I'm thinking of. If you have used something like this please contact me. I need it in the next two weeks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar Backpacks?

First, identify your power needs... Typically, solar is a very "low density" power source---Need lots of full sun for relatively small amounts of power.

Realistically--for a trip--getting a handful of lithium AA/CR123A batteries(and camera batteries, etc.). And standardize on one or two battery types. (note; lithium batteries have specific rules you need to follow for air transport--if shorted, they can cause fires).

Then pick your other gear (flashlight, radio, electric razor, etc.) that use the "standard cell" you will be bringing.

Using low power devices (a nice CR123A two cell LED flashlight will last for 60+ hours on low power, and yet be a mini-spotlight for an hour on high).

I would guess that you will find that a "solar backpack" just is not going to give you enough power... And even if it can--you might have to leave it out in full sun for 6-8+ hours per day--can you do that and still enjoy your trip (and not loose the pack)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Backpacks?

YIKES !
    > $499 Solar panel generates up to 15 watts using 20% efficient cells,
    > enough to provide a full charge of the Voltaic battery in about 5 hours.

1) nobody makes 20% efficient cells - so I don't even trust the ad. The best rooftop panels are about 16% Add in the plastic covers, and stiuff, you have a very expensive (and fragile) pack.

Buy some extra batteries.

Use HIBERNATE mode, not sleep (sleep still sucks power and will drain batteries in 6-8 hours) Hibernate & Wake is generally faster then shutdown and startup

have fun
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,