Resetting vfx3648 and mx60 to factory settings

Hi,

One night after a storm, my Mate did not recognize the device anymore. I thus disconnected the Flexnet and the Mate, and I am only using the MX60 and the VFX3648 inverter. My system is working fine. We've had a few cloudy days and now the inverter shuts off at 47.7 volts which is the setting I had established with the Mate and the Flexnet as cutting off point.

What is happening is that I get to that voltage in the morning after previous cloudy days, and the inverter shuts off. I have a 48v system, but I do not want now the inverter shutting off at that voltage because I do want to deplete my batteries a bit more before shutting the system off.

I understand the rationale about having the system shut off at 47.7 for a 48v system, but I do not want to do this now. I have tried the changing the cutting off point at the MX60, but that is not working.

Having said all this, I only want now to be able to reset the inverter to factory setting which I believe is a cut off point at :blush:42v. I want to leave the MX60 as is. Please advise on how to reset the VFX3648 to factory settings.

Much obliged,

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Resetting vfx3648 and mx60 to factory settings

I don't think there's any way to reprogram the inverter without a MATE hooked to it. You can plug the MATE in directly to the inverter (without a HUB) unless it is fried and non-functional.

The MX60 can be on its own, following the instructions in the manual.

The confusing part of your post is the numbers: you have a 48V system if you have a VFX 3648. "42 volts" doesn't enter into it anywhere. The correct numbers would be:

System Voltage: 48
    Absorb Voltage: 57.6*
    Float Voltage: 54.4*
    Equalization Voltage: 62*

* Subject to battery manufacturer's over-riding recommendations.

I suggest you shut everything down, disconnect the power from array and batteries, read your install manuals again, and start over.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I think 42 VDC is the inverter's default "dead battery" setting which he needs to change.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Okay I'm a little slow on the up-take today! :blush:

42 VDC is indeed the default inverter low voltage shut-down. So you've accidentally set it to too high of a number and now the inverter is switching off all the time?

Okay if the MATE is no longer functional the only thing to try is disconnecting the batteries from the inverter (although I can't find anything in the manual that says specifically that will work).

Hopefully your MATE wasn't fired. But radiant high voltage from nearby lightning is bad for equipment. You might want to look into some lightning protection if this is a frequent weather condition.
  • Richard Edwards
    Richard Edwards Solar Expert Posts: 27

Thanks. I'll try that! Otherwise, I think I am going to hail I have to wait until I figure out what happened to my Mate. Thanks again.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay if the MATE is no longer functional the only thing to try is disconnecting the batteries from the inverter (although I can't find anything in the manual that says specifically that will work).
    Doesn't work. A Mate is required to tell the FX to reset to factory defaults.

Info from an "old" FX manual:
    The MATE can be used to program the FX and then removed in most cases. There are, however, some settings that are located within the MATE itself. Settings that require the use of the MATE’s time and date (programmable through the MATE) are stored within the MATE and, therefore, the MATE must be connected to the FX or HUB for these setting to work. All of the settings pertaining only to the FX are stored in non-volatile memory inside of the FX itself. The battery can then be disconnected from the FX and the settings will not be lost.
    With regrets,
    Jim / crewzer