6x6 solar cells

Options
I just got 40 6x6 solar cells and I thought they would be at least as thick or even a little thicker then evergreen 3x6's But these that i have are so fragile that you have to very very be careful how you handle them. I'm almost afraid to solder them.Has anyone else have this problem??

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Re: 6x6 solar cells

Yes, everyone does have a problem with handling large modern raw solar cells. They are so thin to reduce the amount of silicon used to make the cells (save money).

I guess some people have tried floating the cells apart by floating them apart in (distilled) water or some sort of solvent (if the cells are waxed).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DeltaFox
    DeltaFox Solar Expert Posts: 27
    Options

When I got my 6x6 cells there were 2 that were broken but you have to expect that since it came from Hong Kong . I had trouble there It took me almost a month to get them, Thats the last time I'll order over sea's. The cells didn't have a coating on it but they were very , very fragile. I'm almost afraid to try to solder them but know I'll have to. I usual make a setup first then soldier them.
  • moorsb
    moorsb Solar Expert Posts: 38
    Options

I got mine from a guy off ebay fred480v They came stacked with bubble wrap. I broke one just testing the voltage. I have not started soldering them. I bought 600 of them. What are you using to build the enclosure out of?