education advice

Options
Brant
Brant Registered Users Posts: 13
Hello my name is Brant and I am trying to choose an education path. I am intereted in clean energy and solar tech. I have recently been to an Allied Schools web-site where I was introdced to a course--{Advanced Principles of Photovoltaic Systems Instalation} and the {NABCEP Certification}. My questions are: Is this a good school? Are online degrees like this worth it? What do I need to prepare [ I have only a GED]? And can any one offer any advice towards what type of education a person should choose if the individuale wants to get into the sloar energy field, elctrical, or related scientific fields?
I live near York PA and want to work and go to school near this location or online.
Thank you and I apretiate any advice you can offer.

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: education advice

http://ibew229.org/node/50

Usually takes a while to get accepted - gotta show you're dedicated and willing to stick it out for 5 years and finish the program. An unwritten part of the apprenticeship application process is the apprenticeship committee jacking you around to see if you have "stick-to-it-iveness".

Great career, great pay and anywhere you move to you'll find work.

Plus, you work full time *while* training:

"Our programs consist of two parts: First, every apprentice is assigned to an electrical contractor and works 40 hours a week learning the trade on the job, under the supervision of a foreman and working alongside seasoned journeymen wiremen or tele-data technicians. You will be paid an excellent wage and receive benefits while you learn on the job." (One reason they are picky about apprentices.)

"The second part of the program consists of classroom theory from September to June, two nights per week (Mondays & Wednesday or Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6 to 9 pm) at our training center. Along with classroom study, students also take part in hands-on learning labs, learning proper procedures for installing and maintaining equipment such as fire alarm, electric motors, transformers, motor controls, conduit bending, wiring methods, security, voice data, and more."

Once you are a journeyman electrician, then you can easily add a solar certification.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i think the best thing you can do is to email prospective employers as to what they want and require from you for various positions sought. we don't get much feedback in this area and i'm sure many present and future readers here may benefit with that knowledge. any others out there that can reflect on their job requirements in this area? i'm sure some working knowledge of electricity and electronics would be good for many positions and even some familiarity with nec rules, but jobs can vary as well as the degree of knowledge required for different areas.
    if you get feedback on job positions please post what it is and what was required.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

What seems to happen for many folks is there is a two choice track... One that has you following a 4+ year degree for a BS+

Or, a full (or part time) job, hopefully in your area of interest and after work/weekend studying.

If you have the means to to the first one (living at home, some method to pay for 2-4 years of college)--you will certainly go farther and probably faster with less "home life" issues. Also, if you want to get an advance degree--it is probably easier to do it before starting work and a family. I would not recommend that you "finance" your degree--especially at an expensive school. At this point, the loans are large, the interest high, and the pay not great--and can leave you buried under debt.

If you choose path number 2 (or life has chosen it for you)--getting a foot in the door with any employer tangentally related to your desired field is the way to go.

To help you get your foot in the door--Read any related books (whether it is the NEC or an Engineering Handbook type text related to the profession). You will be surprised how much you will absorb even just reading through a complex text.

You will not be an expert in the field--but you will be able to understand discussions and ask appropriate questions.

I used to enjoy reading Engineering and Machinist Handbooks (there are probably a lot in used book stores). I was even able to surprise a physicist with knowledge of a high vacuum pump (it was just a couple pages with a drawing or two how it worked). Not useful in my job at the time--but gets people's attention when you can talk about (or ask about) things that interest them.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset