landscape mounting

Options
Seank
Seank Registered Users Posts: 5
Hello, was wondering about landscape mounting my panels. I have seen it before but the directions givin say to space rails 48" perpendicular to the joists.
So my question is how then is landscape mounting then possible? Does it ruin the engineering report f the product as far as getting a permit?

Comments

• tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: landscape mounting
    Seank wrote: »
    Hello, was wondering about landscape mounting my panels. I have seen it before but the directions givin say to space rails 48" perpendicular to the joists.
    So my question is how then is landscape mounting then possible? Does it ruin the engineering report f the product as far as getting a permit?

You realize that most panels can be clipped down to the racks in either portrait or landscape orientation?

If your panels are too long (or short ...) for 48" spacing, you might need to make that smaller, which shouldn't affect the engineering report -- more conservative makes engineers happy. But do get a new report, if one is required. Some jurisdictions don't accept As-Built -- they want As-Designed.
  • Seank
    Seank Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options
    Re: landscape mounting
    tallgirl wrote: »
    You realize that most panels can be clipped down to the racks in either portrait or landscape orientation?

If your panels are too long (or short ...) for 48" spacing, you might need to make that smaller, which shouldn't affect the engineering report -- more conservative makes engineers happy. But do get a new report, if one is required. Some jurisdictions don't accept As-Built -- they want As-Designed.

Indeed These were my thoughts as well. The harware I have is the roof trac system. it seams that i would have to modify there mount system by adding a strip of some sort of metal along the trac so the clips will clamp. If this kind of mod isnt done it seams like the clamps wont lock as designed. Seams like I will have to settle for an asymetric install.I do hope My ignorance is not allowing me to see a solution ;)