BP panels darkening

Robert Lake
Robert Lake Registered Users Posts: 9
My BP panels, of 10 years now, are darkening. This concerns me but I have not done an electrical check yet to determine if there is significant loss or not. Has anyone else reun into this problem wqith BP panels?

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: BP panels darkening

Check the output.

If the output is good (which I would suspect it is)I wouldn't worry about it.

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i'd be curious to know how it is you know they are darkening after 10 years?
    as was said, if they still work as they should, who cares?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Mine darken at the edges (close to 4 years now) and look like "classic" bad panels... Turns out, that washing with soap and water (not just water and brush) removes the stain (probably "oak leaf tea" for my panels).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

what type of soap are you talking here, dish soap?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

I believe it was a Turtle Wax product (could have been Windex)--it was a soap dispenser that fit on the end of a hose (intended for washing window). I would try whatever I had handy

My array is on a 2nd story roof and difficult to access--so I don't do it often. And I wanted a hose dispenser to make application a bit easier.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the cells them self "darkening" my 30 year old french Photowatt panels show their age with the fine silver(tined copper?) leads turning dark from the outer edges in.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.