PV Panel Repair

SolarJohn
SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
I'm trying to repair a PV panel, and could use some advice. The glass has broken, but is still attached to the panel. It appears to be glued to a piece of nylon that then covers the cells. The glass looks like safety glass, that is to say that it shattered into millions of small peices, but is still attached to the PV panel. I found that it's a little easier to remove the glass by heating it first. I use an industrial heat gun, not a hair dryer. Then, I carefully pry it up with a dull knife or a putty knife. I have to be careful not to damage the cells when I do this, and so it's a very tedious and time consuming job. In hind sight, I would have just fastened a new piece of glass over the top of the broken piece, but since I've already started to remove the broken glass, I'll just continue to do that. Anyone have an idea how I can make this process go faster?

John

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: PV Panel Repair
    SolarJohn wrote:

Anyone have an idea how I can make this process go faster?

Flip burgers for a week, and buy a new panel ?

I have visions of you sitting there with heat gun, at 1KW, and tweezers & magnifier.

Maybe a solvet - IPA or acetone would help, but then you have to put away the heat gun
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: PV Panel Repair

actually i'm surprised you had gotten that far. if you manage to get it all out of there without damaging the cells you need to replace the glass with the same type of glass as it was either iron free or lead free, i forgot. :? :roll: