The Future IMHO

nigtomdaw
nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
I posted this on OB forum earlier

The advantage of treading NAWS whom Crewzer was a former moderator and a good one!!! I had a couple of bolickings from him (HOPE THAT TRANSLATES WELL ) is that you can keep an eye on whats going on globally , Alas with only a single company, you can loose the edge, Jim still monitors NAWS has his opinions offers good advice and defends his employer. Outback will launch a new PFC inverter Charger very soon Im sure they need too. ( Not b4 I sell my last VFX3048E that I have in stock )I have a Xantrex system SW3024e with a XW60 which im very happy with but i have fitted 11 OB systems and one X system in the last 15 months . I source new and from Overstock in USA.and Europe.

Flex Power 1IMHO is a plaster in its current form trust me ! most wont have seen it yet,, Xantrex have lost the plot in the rest of the off grid world World plot apart from the USA with the XW system, too big too complicated too isolated, single voltage countries dont need it, Magnum take note ! Im sure they will do well both in the US markets. |PS Im an X fan good gear works well...owner operator for last 4 years .but also the OB gear Ive fitted is real good does what it says on the box..but does OB and X/Schnieder want to be a bit player...I dont think so . I fit OB because X have lost the EU plot .But unless OB provide a PFC unit soon I will look sriously at Studers new offerings

Off grid power reliable power IMHO will surge hasnt it done so already ?

But i can easily critisize any company I also look very carefully at the Asia and European competition, Europe is closing fast, Asia will swamp you all in less than 5/7 years very much so on Xantrex Schiender and OB because they adapt quicker,X have lost the modular approach which OB still retain. alas without PFC.

Sorry for the rant

WoO

AKA Nigel

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: The Future IMHO
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    Outback will launch a new PFC inverter Charger

What is a PFC inverter charger ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Power Factor Corrected (makes the current wave form follow the voltage wave form--basically, and active load looks "resistive"/

Simple power supplies just have a diode that charges a capacitor--the Current Spikes just near the peak of the AC wave form--so you have sine wave Voltage and very spiky current--very inefficient in AC Transformers and wiring...

Power Factor was originally defined as the Cosine of the Phase angle between the voltage and the current--inductive loads the current lags, capacitive loads, the current leads).

Wiki PFC

-Bill

Otherwise,the Inverter/Charger acts like a UPS--Takes AC power in and ships it too the load, while it take a part of the A/C power, and charges the attached battery bank.

One automatic unit vs having to buy an Inverter, Transfer Switch, and A/C battery charger. The Xantrex XW Hybrid inverter/charger combo unit, as well as some of the Prosine Inverter (/Charger) line.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I thought it was something NEW.

PFC'd units have been out for years. The only thing new, is the EU has forced the issue in the last year.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,