heres the joke for today

http://www.power4home.com/index2.php?hop=ttinc1

I apologize if this has already been posted
and it wont hurt my feelings if its deleted

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: heres the joke for today

Not a problem--I have seen a few of these that appear to a re-labeled earth4energy.com set of ads/scams.

This same product can also be found under:

www.power4home.com
    housesolarpower.info
    Home Made Energy
    Energy 4 Green
    fuelbyearth.com

I am always happy to post these guys under the "SCAM" heading... Even if there is a bit of useful information--they over promise so much (for $125 worth of parts from the local hardware store, you too can knock $100 a month off your power bill) that they do more harm than good for the Solar RE / Conservation movement.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Good grief. I feel like I just finished watching a ShamWow commercial!

Wow, make my own wind turbine AND solar panels in a weekend?!? For less than $200, too!

I was laughing as I read, but got kinda teed off when I closed the tab and got an "Are you sure you want to close this?" pop-up box! "Wait! We'll drop the price another $10!" Talk about annoying...

And the sad thing is there are people who would actually believe that's real...
  • BB.

Pop ups and Pop Unders? Haven't seen those in almost a decade. 8)

FireFox
    Addblock Plus
    Addblock Filters (EasyList USA works well)
    NoScript

There is only one configuration you need to do for Addblock Plus (note Adblock is an old unsupported product). Add one or more filter subscriptions (updated automatically). You can also kill annoying stuff on your favorite website.

NoScript you do have to configure. It stops all java / java script / flash and related plugins by default. On your normal websites, you "white list them" so their java / java script and flash based menu systems work.

I started using the above because I hate screenful of flashing and moving ad and other objects. As well as killing popups/unders/etc.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

I used to use Noscript, but got annoyed with having to remember to whitelist the ones I wanted. I usually "remembered" after I tried to do something that got blocked, and often there were a number of steps to get to the "blocked" point that I tired of having to repeat once I unblocked it. (Just unblocking at that point rarely made things okay.) I rarely use more than a specific set of sites anyway, so it's usually not an issue. Certainly something like the one mentioned here I wouldn't normally visit, but I was bored and interested in a laugh...

I'm not overly annoyed by the ads (except Flash) so I quit using Adblock as well, figured I could at least let the sites load them. Not that I even notice them anymore - they're kind of like billboards along the Interstate anymore!

The Flash ones I do block - I use FlashBlock, primarily because it's easy. Just puts in a box with an "F" in it. If I want to see the Flash, click the F and it plays. No highly animated ads, and most especially no sound blasting at me unexpectedly!

Even without Noscript / Adblock it has been a very long time since I saw a popup like the one on this site. That was part of what annoyed me so much - I have Firefox set to block popup windows, and that is usually enough. (I see a LOT of "blocked popup" alerts.)
  • BB.

I used to avoid products like Adblock because I realized that the web has to pay for itself somehow... But that thought went out the window with animation, pop-over/unders/spam/Trojans/etc...

They have made NoScript they much easier to use--Now you can unblock everything in one pop-up window without having to reload every time you wanted to unblock more than one URL... I believe they have some version of remote container now where you can synchronize multiple installations now. Also warns/blocks hidden click areas and cross site scripting hyjacks.

I agree that NoScript is a bit of a pain for others (spouse, kids) to use when they are stopped on various sites they visit...

In the end; "vive la différence"! :D

-Bill