Which pole on Outback DC breakers (OBB-80-150VDC-PNL) is the input?

benthere
benthere Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
Hi.

The documentation for my E-Panel indicates the importance of having the input side of a circuit on the right pole of a DC breaker.

For the life of me, I can't find a mark on the OBB-80-150VDC-PNL breakers I have, possibly because the wholesaler wrapped a sticker around them. I've peeled those stickers off as much as possible but still can't see it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Which pole on Outback DC breakers (OBB-80-150VDC-PNL) is the input?

Benthere,

Yeah, more and more DC breakers are being polarized. These breakers contain directional flame chutes to manage the opening/closing arcs, and the external markings help ensure a correct mechanical connection. Check for any external "+" symbols that might be printed on, or molded into, the case.

My extra -DIN breakers are labeled with the "positive" input on the bottom terminal. I don't have a spare -PNL DC breaker lying around, otherwise I'd check it for you. If you can find and provide me with the OEM manufacturer's name and model number on your breaker, I'll look it up for you. Otherwise, I'll have to wait 'till Tuesday to get assistance from OutBack HQ.

Alternately, you could call OutBack Customer Assistance at 360/618-4363 starting at 6 AM PDT on Tuesday.

Are you planning on using this 80 A breaker between the charge controller and the battery bank? If so, I urge you to give some thought as to "correct" polarity. It might seem counter-intuitive, but I always recommend that this breaker's "+" terminal be connected to the battery. The rational here is that the breaker's job is to protect the wiring between the charge controller and the battery, and, for example, during a short, the battery can invariably supply much more current than can the charge controller.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • benthere
    benthere Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Jim,

Thanks for your help. I was able to find line and load markings on the other breaker (manufacturer's sticker didn't come off as bad with the wholesaler's). Load is toward the bottom if the amperage on/off are right-side-up.

I am protecting the charge controller from the battery bank, and the array from the charge controller. The instructions for my Midnite Solar E-Panel indicated the same wiring advice that you gave. Thank you!
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

:cool:

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer