Sanyo mini split AC (inverter/variable speed)

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sanyo mini split AC (inverter/variable speed)

Whoa PhilS, there is someone else who uses search mode! Unfortunately there is a big enough phantom that I installed a switch next to where I tapped AC to send out the wall. The disconnect provided in the kit from Ken at Ductless HVAC supply was nice and easy to mount the switch on.

There are some quirks to the manual that you can press me on, but I will say that another really nice thing about adding this unit is on days when the pollen was out and a breeze was blowing we have neen able to keep the windows closed. After the wind stops we open up and let the cool sweet air in. Not as much dusting and not as much window opening and closing!!! Since it appears the 12,000 BTU unit will limit power draw over a wider range it seems like a good choice. I would caution you that unless you have enough solar to cover the bet you are gambling. We have about 1600 watts and I was concerned that my better half would roll the dice.

Jessica,
    Sorry about the name mixup. There is not any surge at all as recorded on my Tektronics AC load software. You can see the different speeds of the motor but they ramp up over 15 seconds slowly!!! There are by the way 5 speeds! There is a quiet mode that is basically speed 1 but less fan sound. There is speed 1, 2,3, & high power. We use speed 2 (about 600 watts untill about 5pm and then down to speed 1. We do have a tracked array that is delivering 700 watts + up to 7PM that makes the power thing easy. I have run speed 3 at noon but that was a test and I hope it does not get that hot this year........................I think you will be fine on your inverter.

dwh,
    There are Fujitsu's all over at all the hotels up here near Yosemite. My HVAC guy loves them but when I looked at them they did not have the DC motor on the small units and the SEER's were only high when run on 220VAC. I know that there have to be other choices.

Home Power Magazine,
    I and others have been bugging you guy's for years to do a hell of alot more on appliance power & conservation. Same old answers. This is 2009 and alot of the same problems are here decade after decade. If you are too busy to do a best of or hall of shame on appliances maybe a little less on Politics.........I know your lurking! Ciao!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭

Dave:

Thanks a lot!

I am on my way to buy a Sanyo asap. Your advise is really appreciated.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Whoa PhilS, there is someone else who uses search mode! Unfortunately there is a big enough phantom that I installed a switch next to where I tapped AC to send out the wall. The disconnect provided in the kit from Ken at Ductless HVAC supply was nice and easy to mount the switch on.

There are some quirks to the manual that you can press me on, but I will say that another really nice thing about adding this unit is on days when the pollen was out and a breeze was blowing we have neen able to keep the windows closed. After the wind stops we open up and let the cool sweet air in. Not as much dusting and not as much window opening and closing!!! Since it appears the 12,000 BTU unit will limit power draw over a wider range it seems like a good choice. I would caution you that unless you have enough solar to cover the bet you are gambling. We have about 1600 watts and I was concerned that my better half would roll the dice.

Thanks Dave, and thanks again with emphasis for starting this thread!!

IIRC our array is about 2000W. I upgraded to a Magnum 2800W inverter SO that I could replace our propane fridges with electric, and THAT improvement is working better than even hoped for after a year. This A/C unit would run off of the same inverter that never goes into 'search', so that is a moot point. But I'd already mentally planned on connecting the Sanyo unit through a switch and powering down when appropiate.

Was it only up in our part of the Sierra foothills or was the pollen much worse in your area this year too?

You mentioned cooling a 1600 sf house with a unit designed for 300 sf. I only need to cool 500 sf and was choosing the larger 11,900 btu Sanyo because it says "heats and cools up to 500 sf". We are about 900' elevation overlooking the northvalley... so it gets HOT.

Whaddya think about the sizing. The smaller unit would be better on the budget and take less power. But undersizing A/C units can turn around on you, taking more power cause it's overworking.

Phil
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

With an A/C system, as I understand (certainly no A/C expert)--oversizing an A/C unit is worse than undersizing.

An oversized unit cannot dehumidify because it is "off" most of the time.

An undersized unit can still dehumidify-but would have problems keeping the temperatures down (can't keep up with the heat gain).

Perhaps, the Sanyo (for example) with the variable speed compressor (and fans) can keep the SEER value high--even at lower BTU settings.

If the Fujitsu does not have the variable (AC Servo/DC motor) type pump--how do they do at lower settings? 26 SEER seems very nice.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini

The old timers said this was the best wildflower season in 35 years so yea, more pollen. Keep in mind on your sizing that the strategy is to get ahead of the heat by turning the unit on 1/2 hour or so into absorption. If you are going to "try" to cool a 1600 foot house when you get home from work even the 12,000 BTU is not enough.

I would like to tell you to buy the bigger one but I would be sticking my neck out. Also remember that this strategy is putting a constant load on your inverter, electronics like to not get too hot, all that stuff. There is a timer in the unit so it can be programmed! We shut down bedrooms if it is too hot and our square footage is a great room around 1,100 square feet. We have not hit 100 yet so I don't have data. From the heat spell last Sunday I am impressed! Life is good, all that and did not have to shut down rooms.

Is it friday?

• PhilS
    The old timers said this was the best wildflower season in 35 years so yea, more pollen. Keep in mind on your sizing that the strategy is to get ahead of the heat by turning the unit on 1/2 hour or so into absorption. If you are going to "try" to cool a 1600 foot house when you get home from work even the 12,000 BTU is not enough.

I would like to tell you to buy the bigger one but I would be sticking my neck out. Also remember that this strategy is putting a constant load on your inverter, electronics like to not get too hot, all that stuff. There is a timer in the unit so it can be programmed! We shut down bedrooms if it is too hot and our square footage is a great room around 1,100 square feet. We have not hit 100 yet so I don't have data. From the heat spell last Sunday I am impressed! Life is good, all that and did not have to shut down rooms.

Is it friday?

It's Friday for us!!! WOO HOO -- Long Weekend!

In looking through the owner's manual, I think with some experience (i.e., when we are home all day) we'll be able to use the timer and power settings so the home would be comfortable by the time we got there after work, but without letting equipment run all day (which is what we'd have to do with our swamp cooler).

After your glowing reports of the service at Ductless, I planned on the good answers coming from their 800 number. But your actual experience may even trump their thoughts since I doubt they have very much knowledge of off-grid living (most don't).

We had three days of over 100 weekend before last, which is why I'm even participatinig in this thread.

Phil
  • Dave Angelini

Not many businesses understand solar and offgrid is way too far out there. I did use Ken at Ductless extensively when searching for a way to do this. He was critical in determining that this unit could be limited in power draw. He went and tested it for me. If you get time read the testimonials there. It is his picture on the web page! Ciao

• Dave Angelini
    BB. wrote: »
    With an A/C system, as I understand (certainly no A/C expert)--oversizing an A/C unit is worse than undersizing.

If the Fujitsu does not have the variable (AC Servo/DC motor) type pump--how do they do at lower settings? 26 SEER seems very nice.

-Bill

Bill,

When my research into finding a "split" system last fall I had one goal. The system had to have the power needed to run the system adjustable, limited, and
    120VAC. I looked at the Fujitsu's and the small units were 220VAC. I have no idea what is out there now as my project is done.

It does sound like for you with a grid tie the best SEER is the path you should take.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

My thoughts too Dave.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini

Update for those thinking or installing one of these. 9,000BTU unit!

The main application of this unit is for those who want to be able to limit the power of a heat pump. Others may do this now but this this one is tested!
    Other units I looked at had inverters for the DC motor but this unit pulses the DC so the duty cycle can be set by the user. Data was gathered in the fall of 2008.

The algorithm or program for limiting the power has at least 2 (maybe more) factors that must be understood for this to work. The combination of the indoor unit fan speed and the temperature differential of the room to the programmed set-point temperature are the factors you need to set to make this work well.

The remote is not just for programming! It supplies the actual room temperature to the indoor unit and the target temp. that you program. By selecting the low speed and 72F one can turn the unit on at sunrise and expect around 300 watts to be consumed all day. By setting the fan speed to medium this the unit will use around 600 watts. On high speed the unit will use between 6 and 8 AAC. By increasing the differential temperature the unit will use more energy but the amount will be limited by the fan speed. Conversely a lower differential will allow using a higher fan speed with less power consumed.

The key strategy is to run the unit early to get ahead of the rooms heat gain, or loss and then keep up with it when it peaks. The power numbers for heating mode are higher but similar results were obtained in that it can be limited. For me this was a revelation that changes everything going forward. Kind of like the MX-60, the Wattsun solar tracker and my favorite now for a decade now the Sony 400 disc cd/dvd changer. Good Luck and enjoy!

• PhilS

Thanks for the update Dave!

I received the 11,900 BTU unit earlier this week, have the inside unit temporarily mounted, will set the outside unit this weekend, and plan on completing the installation next week. It's taking a little longer because I'm installing a new front door at the same time so that I have access to the wall interior where the pipes and wiring will be located.

I looked at many, if not most, of the different brands. After reading this thread I stopped considering the ones that didn't mention "inverter". In addition to your satisfaction with Ductless, I liked that this Sanyo has the programming contained in the remote, unlike any of the other brands I compared. Since I will be "powering down" the unit when it's not in use, nothing would change or get corrupted. THAT is always a concern. I don't buy a TV without confirming that it's programming doesn't change when there's no power to it, for instance.

It has been a LITTLE confusing when I explain to my friends how it works.... since it's powered by one of my inverters (Magnum 2800) and it is described as a mini-split "inverter", it has taken some clarification.

I know these are standard in much of the world. I mentioned it (with a link) in an email to a friend in Pakistan and he said his house has four mini-splits and that they each cost more than this one but that the "installer" puts them in for $10 each.

This morning on the History channel I saw a commercial for the Mitsubishi mini-split and I KNOW I've not seen a commercial for these before.... it's not just because I have one. You know: buy a car THEN notice how many of the identical models are actually on the road.

So thanks again Dave for leading me into the future.

Phil
  • JESSICA

Dave Sparks:

I bought the Sanyo CL1271 (12,000 btu) and it was installed Friday. So far, it seems as good and energy efficient as you said. In fact, my kill-a-watt meter tells me that in cooling mode, temperature set at 76 degrees f, and fan in low speed, this a/c unit draws only between 250 and 300 watts. Even better, there is absolutely no surge when it starts, and it comes out of sleep slowly, 13, then 20, then 40…watts, until it reaches, as I said, about 325 watts, and then it goes back to about 260. Great!
    Now, I noticed that when the unit is off, it still consumes about 12 watts, which is more than my LCD tv, cable box, dvd and receiver’s combined standby consumption. Hence I ask: Would it cause any harm to the unit if I unplug it when not in use? (I can do that very easily, since it has a separate breaker.)

Thanks again for your advise.
  • Dave Angelini
    JESSICA wrote: »
    Dave Sparks:

Would it cause any harm to the unit if I unplug it when not in use? (I can do that very easily, since it has a separate breaker.)

Thanks again for your advise.

I have mine switched so in answer to your question it will not hurt the unit. There is a phantom load for the remote. One of my customers tells me that he just switches the power off with the unit running and the unit when switched on comes back in the last mode. I'll have to test that but we have been in a weather mode where there is no need to cool or heat. The wild flowers are getting rain and the weed eating business is booming!

• JESSICA
    I have mine switched so in answer to your question it will not hurt the unit. There is a phantom load for the remote. One of my customers tells me that he just switches the power off with the unit running and the unit when switched on comes back in the last mode. I'll have to test that but we have been in a weather mode where there is no need to cool or heat. The wild flowers are getting rain and the weed eating business is booming!

Dave:

I turned off the unit using the remote; the I "unpluged" it completely switching the power off with the breaker. When I turned it on again, it did come back in the last mode. I think that's logical, since it is the remote what "tells" the unit what to do, and I have to use the remote to start the unit after the aforesaid procedure.

Now, regarding the "phantom load": Don't you think 12 watts is just too much for such a standby load?
  • Dave Angelini
    JESSICA wrote: »
    Dave:

Now, regarding the "phantom load": Don't you think 12 watts is just too much for such a standby load?

Yes I do and using search mode on my inverter forces me to switch off all phantom loads. It is a pain but no whining is rule #1

• PhilS

While visiting family a few days ago, I picked up the July '09 Consumer Reports and found a review of three "split ductless systems": Sanyo KS-1271, LG LS122CE, and Mitsubishi MS-A12WA. It said "All of them did an excellent cooling job, and were much quieter than window air conditioners, indoors and out. When they were set on low, they were barely audible. The Sanyo and Mitsubishi handled brownouts with ease."

On the same page was a review of "Portables" and it wasn't very encouraging saying they "...weren't as good at cooling as manufacturers claim, they're pricey, and they use more energy than similarly sized window units do." The article also mentioned that rolling 85-pound portables around on carpeting isn't for weaklings.

Phil
  • Dave Angelini

I tried a Panasonic 9000 BTU portable that I was happy to have bought at Costco.
    They were offering free shipping and it went to my local Costco for return. It was the second portable I tried and the last. As they say "do not go there."
    Is it getting warm in Paradise? You may need to buy 6 small ring terminals for the install Mr Phil. Did you see that there is at least a second person beta testing our little GEM?

On the install, I used a plastic corrugated rain gutter downspout to cover the refrigerant lines up the outside of the building to the second floor. It looks like a gutter downspout and keeps the sun off the PVC tape that covers the insulation.

• PhilS
    I tried a Panasonic 9000 BTU portable that I was happy to have bought at Costco.
    They were offering free shipping and it went to my local Costco for return. It was the second portable I tried and the last. As they say "do not go there."
    Is it getting warm in Paradise? You may need to buy 6 small ring terminals for the install Mr Phil. Did you see that there is at least a second person beta testing our little GEM?

On the install, I used a plastic corrugated rain gutter downspout to cover the refrigerant lines up the outside of the building to the second floor. It looks like a gutter downspout and keeps the sun off the PVC tape that covers the insulation.

Good idea on the downspout... I saw they offered a cover for the outside lines. I only have about 2 ft of lines exposed but it's not against anything. It's where it comes out from under the house and connects to the outside unit.

It's still pretty nice, temp-wise, staying in the mid-seventies. I'm planning on this unit being operational when the high temps start, maybe next week.

And I'm glad to see JESSICA'S early experiences are as good!

Phil
  • JESSICA
    PhilS wrote: »

It's still pretty nice, temp-wise, staying in the mid-seventies. I'm planning on this unit being operational when the high temps start, maybe next week.

And I'm glad to see JESSICA'S early experiences are as good!

Phil

Phil:

High temps already started here, in Puerto Rico. Yesterday, what in Spanish we call "Indice de Calor" (the temp that you actually feel out there) was at 96 farenheit in my hometown. Yet, my new Sanyo cooled my family room, down to 76 degrees, in just about 20 minutes. Fan speed was kept al "low" all the time.
    (Size of the room: 12 x 14). I think that is very good, keeping in mind that power consumption was an average 260 watts per hour.
  • homerramirez
    homerramirez Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi, We have a 2 mini split units at work and this are the problems we had found:

!.- during high humidity they tend to have a lots of condensated water, if drain hose is not securely attached, you will have a constant water drip right under indoor unit.

2.- the unit tends to grow mold on indoor condensation fins, dust will collect in it and the only way to get rid of it is taking the indoor unit outside (gas must be evacuated and recharged under vacuum after being cleaned)

3.- refrigerant (410 A)is not sold to public, must have a licence ac tech to recharge

4.- parts are hard to find and are not repairable by a handy man ,only to be replaced, and are expensive.

5.- this units are sold only by authorized dealers (as samsung told me) and instaled by licenced ac tech.

this were the problems we had found with our mini splits at work, may be some other people had better luck with Sanyo brand, myself I will not go to all those troubles, if I need to cool one or 2 small rooms, I'll stick to the 5500 BTUs. window unit.......the advantage (when working trouble free) of the mini-split is they are AC/heater , good luck.;)
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Hi, We have a 2 mini split units at work and this are the problems we had found:

!.- during high humidity they tend to have a lots of condensated water, if drain hose is not securely attached, you will have a constant water drip right under indoor unit.

2.- the unit tends to grow mold on indoor condensation fins, dust will collect in it and the only way to get rid of it is taking the indoor unit outside (gas must be evacuated and recharged under vacuum after being cleaned)

3.- refrigerant (410 A)is not sold to public, must have a licence ac tech to recharge

4.- parts are hard to find and are not repairable by a handy man ,only to be replaced, and are expensive.

5.- this units are sold only by authorized dealers (as samsung told me) and instaled by licenced ac tech.

this were the problems we had found with our mini splits at work, may be some other people had better luck with Sanyo brand, myself I will not go to all those troubles, if I need to cool one or 2 small rooms, I'll stick to the 5500 BTUs. window unit.......the advantage (when working trouble free) of the mini-split is they are AC/heater , good luck.;)

1) so install it correctly, any AC will have lots of condensation, that what happens when it cools air

2) Any evaporator need periodic maintenance, I'm not sure about sanyos, but here in Florida once a year one needs to open up the air handler and rince and clean the coils ... with the drip pan and line, can be done in palce and is concidered regular maintaince

3) True for any type of refrigerant unit, one can get the EPA license taking a 25 dollar online exam

4) Again, true for any commercial AC unit, There are people who will sell to non HVAC licensed purchasers, but you have to find them

5) RE is a very expensive way to generate electricity, its always more cost effective to have high efficiency appliances. If you have grid power and intermittent need for AC, yes window units make sense, off grid or heavy usage, splits make sense, that why most home in the south have them
  • PhilS

Our unit is installed and working... just in time for the heat that's predicted for later this week (between 95 and 99).

I understood that these are quiet but I'm still amazed at HOW quiet!

About the only "odd" thing is the clock in the remote: 12:15 actual time is 0:15 on the remote, for instance.

Phil
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"About the only "odd" thing is the clock in the remote: 12:15 actual time is 0:15 on the remote, for instance."

that might be military time it's in for 12:15am is 00:15hrs and 12:15pm would be 12:15hrs. 6pm would be 18:00hrs as they look upon a day as 24hrs and not 2 12hr segments.
  • PhilS
    niel wrote: »
    that might be military time it's in for 12:15am is 00:15hrs and 12:15pm would be 12:15hrs. 6pm would be 18:00hrs as they look upon a day as 24hrs and not 2 12hr segments.

There's a setting for that but it's set on 12hr not 24. Not really a big thing since we won't be using it for a clock. I just thought it odd the way they programmed it.

Phil
  • Dave Angelini

PHIL,
    When you get some time please post the power levels for the different speeds and temperature differentials on your 12KBtu. Can you imagine something integrated into the inverter xanbus that would run a heatpump with excess renewable energy. Use every watt intelligently and not waste it doing something that is wasteful like heating water with electricity!

• PhilS
    PHIL,
    When you get some time please post the power levels for the different speeds and temperature differentials on your 12KBtu. Can you imagine something integrated into the inverter xanbus that would run a heatpump with excess renewable energy. Use every watt intelligently and not waste it doing something that is wasteful like heating water with electricity!

Sure Dave. I'm still learning and observing. We ran it yesterday some. On MAX cool highest speed, I observed 120 amps (12V) on the remote for the Magnum that powers it. I dropped it down to the lowest speed and saw 35 amps, however the refrigerator was also running (both times) which should have been 10 amps of the load. But when I shut the a/c off, the reading was 0 even tho the frige was still running. I attribute that to the Magnum remote reading only in 10 amp increments and not being perfectly accurate. I intend on using my Fluke inductive ammeter to get some more accurate readings later.

I DID see something else of note: We turned on the a/c when we got home, I looked at the Magnum readings, and then since it was "pump day" (every 4th day to fill our cistern) I figured I'd run the generator early, put the a/c on max, cool down the house, then after pumping and turning the gen off, put the a/c on low into the evening running on the battery bank.

With the generator (10KW Elliott/Kohler propane) running, the Sanyo would only run on the lowest speed. It was at that setting when I started the gen and when I tried to increase fan speeds, it stayed on low. As soon as the generator shut down, the Sanyo immediately increased to the high speed that the remote showed. Consumer Reports mentioned this unit's better with brownouts. My generator normally runs about 105V 58Hz when the well is pumping, so I'm guessing that may be causing this?

Give me a few months and maybe I'll figure it out.

on edit: ran the unit yesterday and saw a consistant 25 amp draw (12V) to the inverter. The draw stayed 25A whether the fan was on low, med or high. I'm guessing the 120A draw was probably the cooler together with the fridge which must've been starting a defrost cycle or heating the ice cube tray to dump. Dunno for sure, and since the inverters are 75' from the house it's hard to be certain. But numerous trips yesterday under different settings all read 25A and our house was COOL! Today will be the hottest day so far and I've set the timer to start the Sanyo at 1PM which is before the house would start getting warm inside.

Phil
  • homerramirez
    homerramirez Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi guys, after solar guppy repied to my post, I was sold out, today I orded a 12000 BTUs mini split, at 9 amps. it will be better than run my central ac/heat for our 1400 sq. ft home, an advertisement on the Ebay says that will cool 640 sq.ft. for the $799.00 all shipping, flare hoses and cables included is not that bad...after revisiting on the mini splits installed by our maintenance tech. at work I have to admit it was some negligence on his part, thanks solar guppy, your reply made me go and double check on said installation.

anyway, I have one comming. ;)
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, after solar guppy repied to my post, I was sold out, today I orded a 12000 BTUs mini split, at 9 amps. it will be better than run my central ac/heat for our 1400 sq. ft home, an advertisement on the Ebay says that will cool 640 sq.ft. for the $799.00 all shipping, flare hoses and cables included is not that bad...after revisiting on the mini splits installed by our maintenance tech. at work I have to admit it was some negligence on his part, thanks solar guppy, your reply made me go and double check on said installation.

anyway, I have one comming. ;)

Just to let you know there is NO warranty on any mini splits if not started by a certified dealer, be it Sanyo, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu etc.
    Without Leak testing & evacuating the system reliability will be compromised, and a compressor change out will be expensive.
    All minisplit companies offer a 1 day certification course on proper installation, startup and service to EPA certified technicians.
    Play it safe and find a contractor to install.
  • Dave Angelini
    LucMan wrote: »
    Just to let you know there is NO warranty on any mini splits if not started by a certified dealer, be it Sanyo, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu etc.
    Without Leak testing & evacuating the system reliability will be compromised, and a compressor change out will be expensive.
    All minisplit companies offer a 1 day certification course on proper installation, startup and service to EPA certified technicians.
    Play it safe and find a contractor to install.

Agree with the above and would add that unless you do this install correctly the unit could use more energy than is required, and that is a bad thing!

Both units got testing at 100F this weekend and kept 1,200 sq. ft. approx. rooms at 74F until sundown at 7PM. Learned a few more tricks but basically keeping the programmed differential at 2F and manual fan speed selection are the keys to load demand management. Stay cool!

• PhilS

THIS was definitely the weekend to test the unit! 80 degrees by 7am, 110 most of the afternoon, trying to keep a '70s era mobilehome comfortable.

And it DID!!!

The unit idles along swinging between almost 500 watts and less than 10 watts maintaining 76 until the sun starts baking the home. Then it uses about 1800 watts running all out, and it was able to still keep the home about 78 until well into the evening.

I slightly adjusted the generator voltage so that the Sanyo ran off of it just fine. (Much higher and the inverters won't transfer because the voltage is "too high" until it gets a load, at which time it comes into specs)

Since we used to use ONLY swamp coolers, and being off grid we didn't leave them running when we were at work, interior temps would be over 100 on days like this when we got home from work. Cats would be splayed out on the hearth. THEN it'd take an hour to get the home livable, but not "cool". More humid, cooler than it was, but not "cool".

Last week was GREAT. Set the Sanyo to come on at 1pm. When we got home it was always about 76, although it wasn't as hot last week as it was over the weekend.

Phil
This discussion has been closed.