California Incentives Requirement

I am in San Jose and I want to do a self install and buys parts online. I talked to a PG&E California Solar Initiative Rep and he said I must buy from the list of retailers they post here: http://www.gosolarcalifornia.com/retailers/index.html in order for me to get the incentive. Does anyone know if this is a true requirement or was the rep misinformed? I looked in the handbook and it did not state such a fact. Reason is I think I can find better deals from non-California retailers. Maybe someone can reply with an authorized dealer in California where I can get a good deal on panels and inverters. Thanks.

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Re: California Incentives Requirement

I wouldn't doubt that you DO have to buy from a CA Co. to get the incentives.

There is some stuff here about the "marketing" of the program. I haven't read any of it so I don't know if it will apply.

http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/energy/Solar/csioutreach.htm
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I have not heard that is a requrierement -- but those requirements do change.

From your link:
    Notice: The California Energy Commission provides this list of Installers, Contractors, and Retailers of solar photovoltaic, small wind, and fuel cell systems for information purposes only and does not endorse any of the listed sellers. The list is based on a company's business address, and the ZIP Code distance, City, or Area Code may not indicate the entire geographic area served by a company.

This database is maintained for BOTH the Public Utilities Commission's California Solar Initiative and the Energy Commission's News Solar Homes Partnership Program.

Note: Other lists of installers, contractors, and retailers in California may be available on other websites, but we cannot guarantee that those lists contained all those registered with the Energy Commission.
    FAQ:
    How do I find a solar contractor I can trust?
    Please see the "Solar Installers and Contractors" database. Installers are required to register with the Energy Commission's Retailers/Installers List annually. This list is on the Go Solar California website. Except for those systems that are self-installed, all systems must be installed by appropriately licensed California contractors in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the California Contractors State Licensing Board (CSLB.) Installation contractors must have an active A,B,C-10, or C-46 license for photovoltaic (PV) systems. All systems must be installed in conformance with the manufacturer's specifications and with all applicable electrical and building code standards.
    From the PDF Reservation Application Box 3c:
    Please provide the Seller’s Name and Address below. Seller must be registered with the Energy Commission. If the seller is not registered, seller must submit a completed NSHP-4 to the Energy Commission.
    The NSHP-4 form seems to be pretty easy for a retailer to fill out. Other than listing Name, any contractor licenses, and contact information--it should not be difficult for a retailer to apply.

May take 15-30 days to process reseller application (and appear in the public database)...

It is a "reservation" system--so they should get back to you quickly with yes or no (with reasons).

Going through the various online documentation--I do not see anything requiring that parts suppliers need to be listed--but I would not bet against the people implementing the forms wanting everything "to be documented" to make sure that they are not held responsible if something "goes wrong" (such as the "panel fire" thread which probably was signed up to receive the rebate).

I wonder how "helpful" they will be with self-installers applying for rebates?

Some additional points from the Handbook:
    4.8.2.2 Copy of Executed Contract for System Purchase and Installation Applicants must submit a copy of executed contract for purchase and installation of the system, and/or alternative System Ownership agreement. Agreements must be legally binding and clearly spell out the scope of work, terms, price, solar system components to be installed.

Agreements must be signed by appropriate parties (supplier/installer, Host Customer, Applicant and/or System Owner).

In the case of alternate System Ownership arrangements, the System Owner must provide a copy of their agreement(s) to purchase and install a system.

The Applicant must provide copies of executed purchase and/or installation agreements with the Reservation Request, and the information must be internally consistent and must be consistent with the Reservation Form. Agreements for the purchase of a system or system equipment must be in writing and must include, at a minimum, the following information:
    • The quantity, make and model number (as shown on the Energy Commission lists of eligible equipment) for the PV modules, inverters, and system performance meters
    • The total purchase price of the system before applying the incentive
    • Language indicating the purchaser’s commitment to buy the system
    • Printed names and signatures of the purchaser and equipment seller’s authorized representative.

Installation contracts must comply with the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) requirements. Please refer to the CSLB website for more information on CSLB guidelines at
    www.cslb.ca.gov.

6.1 Circumstances Requiring Additional Documentation
    6.1.1 Owner or Self-Installed System In situations where the System Owner installs the system, the Applicant must provide the following information during the first or second stage of the application process:
    • An equipment purchase agreement as described above, or
    • In cases where there is not a signed agreement to purchase equipment the purchaser may provide invoices or receipts showing that at least 10 percent of the system equipment purchase price (generating equipment and inverters) has been paid to the seller(s).
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Found a couple of out state retailers, so maybe it's not a big worry. Northern Arizona Wind & Sun is on the list.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    sanjoseAl wrote: »
    Found a couple of out state retailers, so maybe it's not a big worry. Northern Arizona Wind & Sun is on the list.

You mean out of state retailers in the registry database that PG&E sent you to?

NAWS is in that registry?
  • BB.

Search for "Arizona" in the first link:
    Company
    Northern Arizona Wind & Sun
    4091 E. Huntington Dr. Ste. B
    Flagstaff, AZ 86004

Phone: 928-526-8017
    Fax: 928-527-0729
    Email: pat@wind-sun.com
    Web: www.solar-electric.com
    Install: No
    Retail: Yes
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi Al,

I'm in Fremont and considering a rather large DIY system myself.
    Just wondered if you got yours up and running yet? I know Fed credit
    is just receipts and such but were you able to receive state credit
    DIY also? I was thinking I might hire a licensed electrical contractor for
    the final electrical work and sign off the install.

Anyways, let me know. If your up and running, would it be possible to
    visit your site and check out the install?

Thanks,
    Tony
  • BB.

BL31,

You will most likely need a building permit, OK from PG&E (they require homeowners insurance at least, as well as approved permits/etc.), and signoffs from a Professional Engineer (array mounting rail approvals), as well as a licensed electrician to make a "legal" and "safe" install...

Please do the upfront planning (and approvals) before you buy/install your first piece of hardware... Otherwise you could be in for some expensive education. While it is not "rocket scientist" type work--it is heavily bureaucratic (which--in some ways--worse).

-Bill