Suggested Forum Topic - Frequently Asked Questions

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it just came to me.

In digging through these forums, I note a lot of the same questions, or types of questions being asked and answered. Of course, this is completely normal which is why FAQs were invented.

EDIT: For instance, I note this morning that there is a new thread in General Solar Topics asking about connecting PVs of different ratings, while a similar thread is still going on in Solar Beginner's Corner.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Suggested Forum Topic - Frequently Asked Questions

sometimes there is some overlap that can occur between thread classes as the subject matter can apply to both areas at times and is hard for some to guess as to which one to put it into. of course that does not mean for one to run identical postings in both areas as we ask for individual posters to not duplicate their post as they must choose which 1 may apply to them best in their minds. sometimes we mods will move them to areas we feel are more appropriate too. an example might be the subject of fusing as most areas of interest will accommodate this subject matter and it may rely more on the applications involved in trying to select an area, but odds are it'll fit elsewhere too.
    if somebody brings up something on the subject in another thread and/or area then one could simply copy and paste that thread address and state areas of interest by post numbers that may apply as searching some threads that are large is cumbersome. each area is given a title and general description to help you decide what area is more appropriate for your thread.:D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Our host (Windsun of NAWS) found a few years ago that lots of FAQs in the forum tended to reduce posting/reading traffic.

If you go to their webstore--you will find lots of FAQs in the various sections (battery, panels, wind, etc.) that answer many of the basic questions--many times in great detail.

We will point to the FAQs on NAWS or other places (if they seem to be a good match)--but otherwise we are not too hard on new posters. Many times, it is almost as easy to provide a friendly answer to somebody who may be confused/overwhelmed and does not know where to start and, hopefully, the new poster(s) start to gain confidence in their understanding of the systems.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Our host (Windsun of NAWS) found a few years ago that lots of FAQs in the forum tended to reduce posting/reading traffic.

Ahh, been there done that I see.

If you go to their webstore--you will find lots of FAQs in the various sections (battery, panels, wind, etc.) that answer many of the basic questions--many times in great detail.

Indeed. I've read them all - most of them several times as it sometimes (usually) takes a while for my learning curve to start to flatten out.

We will point to the FAQs on NAWS or other places (if they seem to be a good match)--but otherwise we are not too hard on new posters. Many times, it is almost as easy to provide a friendly answer to somebody who may be confused/overwhelmed and does not know where to start and, hopefully, the new poster(s) start to gain confidence in their understanding of the systems.

-Bill

Well, I certainly understand being confused and overwhelmed. It seems to happen to me whenever I try to order food in a take-out joint. I could only wish that the people there were as patient as they are here - I hate having people and cashiers getting restive when I insist on taking over 30 seconds to peruse the menu.