Best battery SG tester you have come across?

alyaz
alyaz Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
Sorry if this has been discussed... did a quick search and didn’t see anything...

Anyone using / used one of these and do they make life any easier?  Would you recommend it, or something else?  Thanks.

https://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-battery-hydrometer.html
3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are asking one question and wanting a different answer.

A hydrometer is just that a meter. It measure specific gravity. I own that one and compared it to glass hydrometers I had been using before trusting it and it works fine for me.

There is also a battery "tester". The most common of which puts a load on a battery and helps test the capacity. A battery with little capacity will have voltage drop and continue to drop. One with reasonable capacity will drop then hold steady at some point.

Battery Load Tester;

Image result for battery load tester

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have both the one linked and a glass version. Both have to be rinsed thoughly between uses, and both sometimes need 2-3 draws to get a stable reading, but I personally find the linked one easier to read and less likely to need repeat draws.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • alyaz
    alyaz Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    Just purchased one, thanks gang.  
    3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.