Outback Skybox

It is done! Ready for market and UL listed. My rep says I can order later this summer. I told him it would probably be more like fall. There are people waiting and pre-ordering which is good. I like to let them get the first ones anyway. ;)

I was disappointed a ways back when I found out the all in one would not have two HVMPPT's. I like them for tracked arrays. I can live with that though. I am happy they went with the less is more approach to programming like Schneider does with Mppt's. The FM series just had to many screens and choices that confuse the user. There is a link below that was not working yesterday. Pricing will be out soon and the beta and field electronics testing went well. Nice job Outback!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
 http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
E-mail [email protected]

Comments

• Graham ParkinsonGraham Parkinson Posts: 28Registered Users ✭✭
    Great but what is it??  Even Outbacks web page announcing the Skybox is vague, vague and vaguer.  I gather it includes one HV charge controller and an inverter in one box, but not energy storage.
  • Raj174Raj174 Posts: 634Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    It appears to be a 5000 watt Radian based inverter/charger with a high voltage controller, probably 100 amp, and communications system built in to one unit.

Rick
    3600W PV, MNE175DR-TR epanel modified, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 54.4V 207AH LiFePO4 no BMS, 4500W genset.
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Posts: 3,882Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    It is not a Radian! A new design Rick. A buddy is doing beta. All in one box and perfect size for many applications. It can have batteries or not which is a first!
    E-mail [email protected]

• Raj174Raj174 Posts: 634Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I'll bet the price tag will be up around 6 or 7 grand.
    3600W PV, MNE175DR-TR epanel modified, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 54.4V 207AH LiFePO4 no BMS, 4500W genset.
    I think 6 would make sense but should hear soon. It really is not all in one box but rather two that join with  8 or so wires to connect like an XW. Pretty simple install and finally a high voltage mppt from Outback after 6 years of promises. I saw 2 of them stacked so there is a nice way to get 2 mppts and 10 KW of power.

I think they picked 5KW as a reasonable power to balance a 5KW load center for split phase. The Radian 4KW had problems with this as does the CSW at Schneider. The Radian also is not supported for AC coupling and Skybox will be.

Also noted that there will not be non north american Skybox for quite some time. Only 240/120 for now, er when it is out.....
    E-mail [email protected]

edited July 26 #7
    The other thing is Skybox does not need a battery to work for grid aps. It can have one added but obviously, a battery is needed for offgrid.
    No one has done this, so a feather to them if it is reliable when the early adapters appear ;)
    E-mail [email protected]

• boxermanboxerman Posts: 4Registered Users
    The other thing is Skybox does not need a battery to work for grid aps. It can have one added but obviously, a battery is needed for offgrid.
    No one has done this, so a feather to them if it is reliable when the early adapters appear ;)
    What about the Sol-Ark 8k?
  • bill von novakbill von novak Posts: 742Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    It is done! Ready for market and UL listed. My rep says I can order later this summer. I told him it would probably be more like fall. There are people waiting and pre-ordering which is good. 

Any details yet?  Dimensions, max DC voltage in, battery voltage?