Schneider CSW inverter/charger "smart charger"

Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Schneider Electric awarded patent for the smart charge technology

https://solar.schneider-electric.com/schneider-electric-awarded-patent-for-the-smart-charge-technology/

Firmware version 3.11 for Conext SW 4048 available from June 12, 2018. Firmware version 3.08 for Conext SW 4024 and 2425 available from May 31, 2017. Visit the “Download” section below.
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• MisterSandals
    MisterSandals Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    The link above is now broken.  Does this info still reside on the Schneider website somewhere?

I am working with Schneider to fix some issues and nobody seems to know what the "smart charge technology" is supposed to do.  The single paragraph in the current documentation (dated 2021) describes use with an AC solar inverter(s), battery charging and grid connection: the "smart" part supposedly directing the AC from solar to battery charging first and passing thru to grid when batteries are full.

But the Schneider tech support insists that such a setup is a special case that may not be supported.  When i as what the "smart" part is supposed to be they cannot provide ANY answer.

So, hoping to find more info about this feature.  Hoping to eventually get this to actually work as advertised too.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24 #3
    The CSW is from 2015 first production release. When I posted above in 2018, the smart charge was one way to do what enhanced grid support is now. This is from memory BTW, as also shortly after in 2018 the stacking ability was removed for CSW. It still is not allowed if you want warranty. Also firmware shortly after 2018 will not allow stacking and will fault to stop operation if you try.

Below is enhanced grid support explanation from the download section of CSW 4048 on the website. I did not test this mode when I did field test in 2014 because I am Offgrid. I was told it worked if you use Schneider networked mppts, it is finicky. I mainly use XW pro for my clients.   

Just below is in advance features section of the CSW config settings. It only works for AC coupled PV.
    Because CSW is a small/medium inverter, you have to be careful your AC coupled PV is less than 1.25
    power of CSW. I can see this happening with typical size grid PV and is a reason to use XWP at twice the output.

Smart charge 24 hour graph below. You can see the battery is providing power at night down to about 60% Soc at sunrise. The solar is covering loads and a full battery until around 7pm.  

https://solar.se.com/us/en/product/sw_inverter_120_240/#downloads

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Objective This application note explains how to accomplish using solar energy (PV system) as a priority source of power in an enhanced AC support mode with Conext™ SW (CSW). Power from the PV system is used to supply the loads during the day and charge the batteries. The batteries will be maintained in a charged condition by the PV system unless there is a grid outage or the PV is prevented from charging the batteries due to shading or other factors. Use Case Scenario The Enhanced Grid Support operating mode is recommended for DC-coupled, grid-tie systems (including backup) where the application requires maximum availability of backup power. This operating mode also promotes battery health by maximizing battery energy replenishment while reducing occurrences of partial state of charge. Prolonged periods of partial state of charge can reduce battery life. Enhanced AC support mode with CSW automatically supplies PV power to the loads. This mode of operation is used to keep the batteries completely charged as possible. This application requires a DC-coupled CSW inverter with one or more Xanbus-enabled MPPT solar charge controllers (such as MPPT 60-150 or MPPT 80-600). DANGER RISK OF FIRE, ELECTRIC SHOCK, EXPLOSION, AND ARC FLASH This Application Note is in addition to, and incorporates by reference, the relevant product manuals for each product in the Conext series. Before reviewing this Application Note you must read the relevant product manuals. Unless specified, information on safety, specifications, installation, and operation is as shown in the primary documentation received with the product. Ensure you are familiar with that information before proceeding. Failure to follow these instructions will result in death or serious injury. Application Note 2 of 2 976-0330-01-01 rev A Procedure 1. Install the CSW unit as directed in its installation guide1. 2. Install the MPPT solar charge controller/s as directed in their installation guides2. Using the SCP or the ComBox 3. Set the CSW charger for 2-stage charging. 4. Set the MPPT solar charge controllers (MPPT 60-150 or MPPT 80-600) for 3- stage charging. 5. Set the CSW for enhanced AC support mode. a. Set AC Supp Mode to Enabled under Advanced Settings. b. Set EnhancedACSup to Enabled under Advanced Features which automatically sets the AC support voltage to a value that is conducive to enhanced AC support mode. c. Set Load Shave to Enabled (or Disabled) separately. What to Expect In the morning, the PV system begins 3-stage charging of the batteries at bulk stage and power from the grid passes through the CSW to the loads. When the MPPT solar charge controller transitions to absorption stage, the PV system will begin to supply power to the loads. Depending on the size of the loads, the PV system may supply all or part of the load requirement. Once the MPPT solar charge controller switches to float stage, all PV system power will be able to supply the loads. Expect that in all cases (including the case scenario in this Application Note), that the CSW will draw a minimum of 2 A from the grid to prevent any power flowing back into the grid from the CSW. Prioritization When the CSW is configured for enhanced AC support mode, the MPPT solar charge controller/s have priority over the CSW to charge the batteries using 3- stage charging (see step 4). If PV energy is reduced (like in a cloudy day) to the point that battery voltage drops to float voltage level, then the CSW scales back AC support (that is, draws less power from battery storage). This process continues until no power is being delivered by the batteries and will only return to AC support when PV power becomes available. 1.Document part numbers for CSW 230V (975-0636-01-01) and CSW 1
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net