Newbie needs help 😁

dazza159
dazza159 Registered Users Posts: 4 ✭
Hi, I have two 100w (wired in series) solar panels, two 12v 105ah AGM batteries (parallel) on the EPEVER MPPT charge controller do I use the gel battery setting?

Thanks.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018 #2
    Sealed battery setting. Or better yet get the recommended charging and float settings from the batteries and use custom settings on the controller, if you have them. Bulk and absorb are generally one in the same.  Bulk will bring the discharged battery up to the setting voltage then hold it there for the battery to absorb current till timed out or current decreases to a minimal percentage of the ah. rating of the battery. In your case, for example, 2% of 210 ah.  = 4 amps. Then transition to float.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• dazza159
    dazza159 Registered Users Posts: 4 ✭
    Thanks for getting back to me. I've set the controller to the sealed setting. I'm guessing when the battery gets to 100% the controller will throttle back and just keep them ticking over?

See, told you i was a newbie.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That's about it in a nutshell, the ticking over is the float voltage, to cover any losses, but having said that if there are any loads whilst in float greater than the array can provide, it will eat into the battery capacity, it's a ballance one needs to study over time, no two systems are identical.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.