fuse from charge controller to batteries

wast
wast Registered Users Posts: 41 ✭✭
2x190 watt panels in series with 40 amp mttp charge controller.. 10awg wire from panels to controller> what size wire and fuse do I need to connect to batteries and do I need fuse from panels to charge controller and if so what size.. and is the 10 awg big enough for the panel to controller (about 15 ft is distance from panel to controller and about 5 ft from controller to panel

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What voltage is the battery bank ?
    What are the series fuse spec for the PV panels?

You need a fuse to protect the wires, in case the controller fails and puts battery power into the PV wires.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• wast
    mike95490 said:
    What voltage is the battery bank ?
    What are the series fuse spec for the PV panels?

You need a fuse to protect the wires, in case the controller fails and puts battery power into the PV wires.
    batteries are 2x170 ah 24 volt  series spec for panels min  10 amp fuse
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018 #4
    From the panels to the controller a 10A fuse would suffice, but I would recommend using a DC circuit breaker which is handy as a means of disconnect as well as protection. Likewise from the controller to the battery, pay attention to polarity on circuit breakers some are polarized, the positive terminal should be connected to the side with the highest energy potential, in a solar system with a battery, the battery is the source of highest potential. Now you're probably thinking fuses are cheaper, but when consideration to the cost of the replacement fuses, along with the holders are factored in, circuit breakers are actually cheaper and also provide a means of disconnect.

Now the gauge of the conductors, 10 AWG is rated for 30A, so the maximum over current protection should be 30A, given the maximum current the system control supply is in the neighborhood of 13A from the controller to the battery at a distance of 5 feet to the battery, I'm assuming a typo in the OP, let's use a voltage drop calculator https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=3.277&voltage=24&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=5&distanceunit=feet&amperes=13&x=74&y=17
    The voltage drop is 0.54%, well within limits, now it's up to you to use the calculator to establish voltage drop from the panels to the controller, since I don't know the voltage, but I'm sure it's well within acceptable limits of ~ 2-3%.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • wast
    mcgivor said:
    From the panels to the controller a 10A fuse would suffice, but I would recommend using a DC circuit breaker which is handy as a means of disconnect as well as protection. Likewise from the controller to the battery, pay attention to polarity on circuit breakers some are polarized, the positive terminal should be connected to the side with the highest energy potential, in a solar system with a battery, the battery is the source of highest potential. Now you're probably thinking fuses are cheaper, but when consideration to the cost of the replacement fuses, along with the holders are factored in, circuit breakers are actually cheaper and also provide a means of disconnect.

Now the gauge of the conductors, 10 AWG is rated for 30A, so the maximum over current protection should be 30A, given the maximum current the system control supply is in the neighborhood of 13A from the controller to the battery at a distance of 5 feet to the battery, I'm assuming a typo in the OP, let's use a voltage drop calculator https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=3.277&voltage=24&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=5&distanceunit=feet&amperes=13&x=74&y=17
    The voltage drop is 0.54%, well within limits, now it's up to you to use the calculator to establish voltage drop from the panels to the controller, since I don't know the voltage, but I'm sure it's well within acceptable limits of ~ 2-3%.
      would this  be okay from contorller to battery  https://www.amazon.ca/Stereo-Circuit-Breaker-Inline-Holder/dp/B01EUHRSQW/ref=sr_1_4/137-2521514-8105920?ie=UTF8&qid=1530635359&sr=8-4&keywords=dc+circuit+breaker