Off Grid Motor Help

evenwizevenwiz Posts: 3Registered Users
edited June 17 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Hello everyone. First off I am not familiar with off grid solar other than knowing I need certain critical components. Will appreciate if someone can guide me. :smiley:

I am trying to get a 15Vdc, 1A motor working by attaching to a solar panel with a charge controller and battery. The motor will not be operating 24/7. It will only be turned on 2-3 times per hour a day and it's operation duration around 2-5minutes only. The problem I am having is knowing what should be the specifications for the three components to power this fellow.

Will appreciate if someone can help me out here! Thank you!

Comments

• mcgivormcgivor Posts: 1,878Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Will the motor be needed only during the day? 
      1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider 150 60 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 8×T105 GC 24V nominal 

• evenwizevenwiz Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited June 17 #3
    Yes, only use during the day. Forget to mention that the motor is to power the window blinds. The motor has an on/off switch on its own.
  • mcgivormcgivor Posts: 1,878Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17 #4
    Reason I asked was it could be powered directly by a panel without needing a controller or battery, but it would be better with a battery, given the use 
    The calculation below is assuming  maximum useage.

3 times for 5 minutes per hour for 12 hours would be 180 minutes total or 3 hours 
    3 hours × 1 amp = 3 ampere-hours  (Ah)
    Battery capacity needs to be greater than maximum useage by at least 50% so 6Ah minimum 10A better 
    PV module or panel wise a 30 to 40 watt one would be in the ballpark to maintain the battery 
    A cheap 5/10 amp PWM controller would be fine for this very small system 

This would be a system where the solar does most of the work during a sunny day, providing battery backup should there be limited or no sun. 

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider 150 60 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 8×T105 GC 24V nominal 

• evenwizevenwiz Posts: 3Registered Users
    mcgivor said:
    Reason I asked was it could be powered directly by a panel without needing a controller or battery, but it would be better with a battery, given the use 
    The calculation below is assuming  maximum useage.

3 times for 5 minutes per hour for 12 hours would be 180 minutes total or 3 hours 
    3 hours × 1 amp = 3 ampere-hours  (Ah)
    Battery capacity needs to be greater than maximum useage by at least 50% so 6Ah minimum 10A better 
    PV module or panel wise a 30 to 40 watt one would be in the ballpark to maintain the battery 
    A cheap 5/10 amp PWM controller would be fine for this very small system 

This would be a system where the solar does most of the work during a sunny day, providing battery backup should there be limited or no sun. 

Thank you mcgivor! I will headstart from here and try it out. :D