Solar system not fully charging battery

solmon2005
solmon2005 Registered Users Posts: 3
I have two 120 W panels rated 12 V connected in parallel , a PWM controller and 100 Ah tubular battery.

My battery is not at all charging completely as the controller indicates around 30% charge only. I used to get around 6 hours of good sun light at present.

I checked the current from the panels to controller, it is only delivering 3 A in total from both panels, even if I disconnect any one panel, the current remains the same.

The voltage output is around 15 V for both panels when connected to controller, I have checked by replacing my controller with another one, but it also gives the same result.

My battery is fairly new one. I got around 6 A from individual panels when checked in short circuit mode.

I can't understand why the panels are not delivering current to battery as if it seems like battery does not require it.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be a polarity problem. Are you sure you're parallel wiring your panels? If you series wire your panels you raise the voltage but leave amperage at, say 6 amps, best case. Now you run this 24 volts, actually about 36 volts into a 12 volt battery and you're only going to get 1/3 of the panel's output. 

What is the voltage and amperage coming from the panels when disconnected from the controller?  you should see about 20 - 21 volts and up to 12 amps when oriented somewhere toward the sun. If these panels are laying flat on a level surface, at least test them around mid day. Actually all you need to confirm polarity is if you are getting an open circuit voltage above 22 volts, then you may have series wired them.

The above may not be the case but it sounds like it to me. If not you might have a bad controller. You always want to connect the battery first, panels second to your controller. If you connect the panels first your controller may have booted up thinking you have a 24 volt system.

Hope this helps.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A 12V nominal panel should have an open circuit voltage VOC somewhere in the region of 21V with a voltage maximum power VMP around 18V. A PWM controller will pull the voltage down to slightly above battery voltage, so if you're seeing 15V at the solar input and the battery voltage is around 14.4V, the current would be reduced because the controller would be in PWM mode, this is similar to absorption with a MPPT controller where current is reduced as the battery approaches full charge. Can you measure the battery voltage as well as post the panel specs, additionally the controller specs would be helpful 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • solmon2005
    Thank you all for your response, i have once again ensured that the panels are wired in parallel.

The open circuit voltage from panel just before entering into the controller is about 19V.

And the short circuit current at the same point is 9.8A.

My battery voltage is 11.9 V

I have checked my battery by charging it with a mains charger and the battery happily takes 10 to 13A.

I have two PWM controllers one is a china made which i thought may be faulty, so i purchased another 'Sukam' branded controller, but both shows same result...

Both controllers are 12/24V auto switching and i always ensures to connect battery 1st.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the battery is not as new as you thought it was.   Can you read the date codes ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solmon2005
    > @mike95490 said:
    > Maybe the battery is not as new as you thought it was.   Can you read the date codes ?

Battery purchased on 16th December 2017. And is having a warranty of 3 years.> @mike95490 said:
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the purchase date, but the Mfg date, coded somewhere on the battery.  When you buy a battery, it's often sat a couple months in transit or at the dealer, and may or may not have had charging top ups in the meantime.  It could have been half dead from sulfation when taken off the showroom floor.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,