Meter Socket Wiring Help

evynroot
evynroot Registered Users Posts: 3
Can anyone answer how the neutral wire for a meter socket should be wired for solar?  I'm using a Milbank 125 amp.  Some pictures I have seen show the neutral being lugged down the middle and some pictures show the neutral coming in the enclosure, but bypassing everything (just going to the disconnect box.  Can anyone assist?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    It looks like the local codes and power company define where the neutral/earth bond is connected (meter base, main panel, both, or don't care):

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/ground-wire-meter-socket-28701/

Are you in the Phoenix/Tempe Arizona area?

Electrically, as long as it is done in one place (meter socket or main panel neutral/earth bus bonding to cabinet, you have the basics correct.

In theory, bonding the neutral in both the meter socket and the main panel makes for parallel neutral/earth connections through the conduit between the meter housing and the main panel (if split installation)--Generally, it is not desirable to have parallel paths through wiring/conduit (but some agencies do not care).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • evynroot
    evynroot Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks do much for the additional info Bill!  Yes, I'm in the Phoenix area (SRP utility).  Is there something more your aware of here?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    No. I am near San Francisco California.

We have some members in the area that may know more.

Otherwise your utility or local building department can answer.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset