Project Issues

KapootaG
KapootaG Registered Users Posts: 2
edited November 2017 in General Solar Power Topics #1
Hi, I'm only an 8th grader working on a project. I have purchased one 30mm 5vdc fan (2 wired) and a 1.5v solar panel module. At the back of the module (not single solar cells, an actual minature solar panel), I have soldered both 2 wires (red into positive and black and negative), after this not working I changed the order on 2 wires (black into positive and red into negative). Both options did not work and i have placed and tilted the model into the sun with no fans working. I am not that smart in these building projects - so I would like to know, is something wrong? the fan is not spinning, do I have to wait for ages? does 1.5v solar panel not work on 5vdc fans? help.

Comments

• KapootaG
    KapootaG Registered Users Posts: 2
    https://imgur.com/a/YLtp2

also, see how there are 2 soldering points - and a green line running to each other, do i have to solder all the metal onto the green line so these 2 points are a metal line (connected)????
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017 #3
    KapootaG said:
    Hi, I'm only an 8th grader working on a project. I have purchased one 30mm 5vdc fan (2 wired) and a 1.5v solar panel module. 
    KapotaG, Welcome to the forum. The numbers you give answer the question. You don't have enough voltage to run the fan. You need a 5 or 6 volt module. You should be able to find one like this on eBay or Amazon for about $10.00 if you cant source one locally. Hope your project is a success.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.