Maine Island Cabin Solar Needs
Thank you for such a GREAT forum. I have found a LOT of great information and I really appreciate the supportive nature of the members.
I am outfitting an Island cabin with a solar system for seasonal use May – October. I have been trying to decide on gas or electric refrigerator. I will most likely remove the system in the winter to mitigate theft, so I am trying to keep solar panels to a minimum. I would appreciate any feedback on my logic.
Besides the refrigerator I will have maybe 0.5 KW daily need:
- LCD TV - DVD Player - Satellite dish (maybe)
- 12V stereo system
- Probably a few LED Lights
- Propane heaters
- Propane stove
I plan to run the generator 1 – 2 hours per day
- 4.0 Sun Hours (stats show 5+ May thru Aug, Sept is 3.9 and Oct is 2.6 so I know I need more gen in these months
- 0.75 charge controller de-rating
- 0.85 Inverter efficiency
- 2.8KW usable stored energy in four 6V Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle (assuming 50% discharge)
- 400W/solar hr (two 290 Watt SolarWorld panels)
- 0.55 KW/day option 1 – Unique UGP-290L1 DC refrigerator (192 KW/year)
- 1.17 KW/day option 2 - Samsung RT18M6213SR (364 KW/year divided by inverter efficiency)
- 0.0 KW/day option 3 – gas reefer (gotta lug 40 lbs propane per month)
- 1.2 KW daily production (4.0 sun hrs * 0.75 controller de-rating * 400 W)
I think I am comfortable with option 1, and still meet my other needs, I was pretty conservative in the calculations.
Here is a tentative list of components:
- $500 - 2 SW290 Panels (80V)
- $500 - Tamarac STP-LR/090 Pole Mount
- $400 - Morningstar TS-MPPT-30 controller
- $150 – AIMES REMOTELF Remote on/off w/LCD
- $400 - 4 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle battery
- $900 - AIMES 4000W charger/inverter (I would like something better)
- $1400 - Unique UGP-290L1 DC (0.55 KW)
- $TBD – Auto start generator
- - I am looking for a 2000W inverter charger with 100 Amp charging. Is there such a thing?
- - Suggestions for an inexpensive auto start generator / controller?
- – Where do I want fuses in this system?
- – any input on any of the system components.
Finally, every day is breezy on the lake. I am going to check with the local airport for average wind velocities an weigh wind power into the equation. I am leery of erecting and maintaining a turbine high in the air tho.
Thank you in advance for any feedback!
1.2KW off grid system; 2 strings of 2ea 305W 60 cell panels on a redneck ground mount; MNPV3 combiner feeds a MN Classic 150 located 100' away; 12V 460AH FLA battery bank powers a cabin-wide 12V DC system as well as a Cotek 700W PSW inverter; Honda EU2000i and IOTA 55A charger bridge cloudy days and a Champion 3800W generator for short duration, power hungry appliances.