GS battery

chsdiyerchsdiyer Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
Does anyone have experience with this brand of VRLA battery?  
https://d3g1qce46u5dao.cloudfront.net/data_sheet/slr1000_2_spec_sheet___civic_solar_dist__500_200_023_ver__1_0_3_2017.pdf
Aside from being pretty expensive, they say 5000 cycles at 70% DoD and 10 year warranty.  That seems pretty dang good. 

I don't recall seeing any other VRLA batteries that claim to perform this well.   Are there others?

Comments

  • EstragonEstragon Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no experience with these, but couldn't find details on the 10 year "limited" (prorated, or otherwise "limited" how?) warranty. 5000 cycles at 70% DOD for an AGM (or flooded for that matter) sounds unrealistic to me. Maybe a single cell under lab conditions, but in a real-world bank, I'm doubtful.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭
    How does the Mfg define 70% DoD ?   discharged till 70% remaining, or discharged 70%, leaving 30% remaining ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

    solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

  • chsdiyerchsdiyer Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Certainly is a big gap between them and the competition. I wonder how they do perform in real world.  Seems to me though if they market that kind of performance and get drastically less in "real life" that would be a horrible PR move and kill that companies futures in the industry.

    Discharge to 70% leaving 30% remaining.
  • mcgivormcgivor Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭
    In order to conduct a 5000 cycle test, would require ~13 years, obviously they didn't spend this much time and are relying on projections, based on an accelerated test, but the question is how much capacity is available after the 5000 cycles. GS or Yuassa is a reputable company, perhaps asking direct questions regarding their claims, would shed some light.
      1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider 150 60 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 8×T105 GC 24V nominal 

  • EstragonEstragon Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭
    A major issue, IMHO is that this 2v cell is likely going to be part of a bank. Some cells will naturally vary a bit in charge/discharge efficiency, and as an AGM, it will be difficult to identify a developing problem and take remedial action.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
Sign In or Register to comment.