Totally lost

Options
jed
jed Registered Users Posts: 4
Going off grid I have a shell of a building right now what size wire should I use for home typicle wiring 12/2. 14/2??? Plus I wanna go to a 3??? To 5 K system do I I use 24v ?? 48v?? I'm gonna need to build a ground system to hold panels and eventually add a windmill so I guess what I'm looking for some one to tell me from a. To. b what do I do???diagrams I can follow?? Anyone build a ground system for the panels? I have 6 245 watt panels right now but know I have to add more. Point me in a direction please
Tagged:

Comments

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good place to get info is this site . i would sugest 48 volts to start with .Sounds like you need to involve an electrician , Have you done a load calculation . I have a ground mount frame and built it using treated timber , i consider the ground mount a good way to go as easy to access and no water leaking issues.  Unless you are dead set on wind solar pv is easier.

2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • jed
    jed Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks couldbu draw me a sketch of what u built??the house wiring I can do panel box also just from there to solar system no load calculations I figure 3 to 5 k plenty knowing about 48 v is good thanks. But when it goes through the house panel it is just like house wiring?? Thought 12/2 might carry better. But way more cost. The rest is like spaghetti to me. Diagrams help but I will go through this site.as for wind I was just gonna add onefor helping system and a back up gen.. don't think I'll have any 220 v as heat will b propane/stove also two wires on back of the solar panels I have?? Do all panels have to be the same. Best batteries???whats the best and cheapest place to buy this?? Thanks
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The best place to start is by defining the loads proposed, then build a system to support them. Choosing the most efficient devices possible, is obvious, the use, wether full time living, or occasional use, play an important part of design. To get the basic information  there are books available, the host has valuable information,  https://www.solar-electric.com/learning-center/ 
    Do you have an understanding of electrical systems in general, this would be advantageous, discussing the system as a whole without doing a load inventory is a recipe for confusion, start at the beginning (loads), wether DC or AC is propesed, wattage multiplied by tines used to establish solar requirements, then move on to step 2, battery requiments, step 3 ballance of system, charge controller, inverter and so forth, it makes the whole process an evolution, instead of a mutation.  

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • cow_rancher
    cow_rancher Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017 #5
    Options
    You are asking several different questions all at the same time.
    House wiring is house wiring, get a do-it-yourself book from HD, or Lowes it's simple. 
    I wired my entire house with 12/2 and 20 amp breakers, the gauge of the wire depends on how much current you may have on it, and how many outlets per the NEC.  14/2 is cheaper, you get what you pay for.
    Solar systems can be configured in 12/24/48 volt DC systems and it really depends on how big, how much wattage you will need/require.  I would not wire the house to use DC, your solar system inverter will convert it to 120/240 vac and you can use normal lighting and appliances.

Rancher
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    CR, do you have a typo in your last post? 12 awg is generally a 20 amp breaker maximum.

The city I grew up in (Pacifica, California) has their code requirement of 12 AWG minimum for all house wiring. It is nice for AC outlets, but when doing lighting and stuff in standard boxes, it does fill up the box and is sort of a pain to wire (12 awg is more stiff/difficult to bend vs 14 awg).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cow_rancher
    cow_rancher Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017 #7
    Options
    BB yes that's a typo, should be 20 Amp, 15 Amp for 14 AWG. ... changed it, took awhile to find the edit button.

Rancher
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try the store here, they are excellent and we have mutually referred each other over the years. If you have time it is best for you to slowly learn all of this. In the end few will be there to help offgrid when you really need help. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net