(un)Realistic AGM specifications?

Options
liamg
liamg Registered Users Posts: 43 ✭✭
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new battery bank (48V/250Ah) and I've just discovered an AGM model (Hoppecke sun.power VR M, 6V/250Ah block) having some unrealistic(?) parameter: 2000 cycles @ 60% DOD. The price is pretty decent, too.

The manufacturer is a very reputable one thus I tend to believe those specifications.

Anyway, I didn't find any similar product on the competitor's portfolio.

Is there any proprietary breakthrough technology involved? Does anyone have any experience with this battery model?

Thank you in advance for any piece of information.

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, the company has a good reputation. It is my understanding that they rate their battery life cycles based on a very high discharge rate. By putting a big load on the battery and draining it to only 1.8v/cell, they get a higher number - resulting in fewer amp-hours being drawn out per cycle. BCI standards call for a high rate, but what number do they use?

Note that in their capacity tables, the amp hour rating for a 100 hour rate is actually lower than the 50 hour rate. I have never seen another battery that does this. For other deep cycle batteries, the slower you draw the power, the more total AH you get.

Buy a set and let us know what you think!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whilst doing research, one of the batteries I was looking into was Hoppecke, although the flooded opzs variety which had an impressive cycle claim, even higher than the block AGM, after reading through the installation manual, there claims are based on a 20°C or 68°F battery temperature, which would mean a climate controllled environment, for most operators. The claim for the mono block type are more than likely based on these temperatures, for me personally the temperatures are unrealistic, I experience 30°C regularly and being off grid a controlled environment is unrealistic, at this point in time. At double the cost versus golf cart batteries, I went with tthe latter, if however ones environmental conditions are favorable, ie. a cold climate, perhaps they could perform the 2000 cycles, the 2V AGM  cells have a 2500 cycles rating at 60% discharge, going much higher at lower discharge rates.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • liamg
    Options
    This AGM block model is a top selling one in Germany, as a reserve power (during nighttime) for the ongrid installations.

They are usually sold as a storage rack (including a metallic case, connections and a fuse) to be mounted in a garage/shed hence I doubt the cycle specifications are rated at 20°C. Actually, I've read in an operating instruction manual that the recommended room temperature should be in the 10-30°C range with a maximum allowable of 40°C or so.

Anyway, it's still hard for me to choose between these AGMs and an equivalent traction tubular flooded block/cells, the price being almost the same for identical capacity.

The AGM advantage (beside no maintenance) is the increased charging efficiency and the greater maximum charging current, which are very useful for my offgrid installation.

Anyway, I'm still afraid of a charger fault leading to an uncontrolled overcharge aka AGM battery sure(?) death.

What will you recommend between the two options? Am I too paranoid?!
  • liamg
    Options

Note that in their capacity tables, the amp hour rating for a 100 hour rate is actually lower than the 50 hour rate. I have never seen another battery that does this. For other deep cycle batteries, the slower you draw the power, the more total AH you get.

Actually, the 100 hour rating is referenced to 1.85V/cell (discharge limit) whilst the 50 hour rating is referenced to 1.80V/cell (that's why the former capacity looks higher). 

You were right: all those specifications are based on a 20°C temperature (Germany average climate, maybe?). That's a quote from the operating instructions manual:

The recommended operating temperature range for lead-acid batteries is between 10 °C and 30 °C. The technical specification applies for the nominal temperature of 20 °C. The ideal operating temperature range is 20 °C ± 5 K. Higher temperatures decrease the service life (a temperature increase of 10 °C halves the calendar service life). Lower temperatures reduce the available capacity. The limit temperature of 55°C must not be exceeded. Continuous operating temperatures of 45 °C or more must be avoided.
    The specifications are still good for a nominal temperature of 25 °C (1500 cycles/60% DOD) but, then again, should I better go for the tubular flooded (traction) ones?
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I were you, which I'm not, flooded would be the preferred route to go, maintenance not withstanding, flooded are more forgiving, being easier to understand, the ability to measure the state of charge with a hydrometer is an advantage, something that can't be done with AGM, the chemistry is basically the same, but easier to understand with flooded, the history is over 100 years old so better understood. Hoppecke flooded cells are more impressive than the AGM, in terms of cycles, the added advantage is a series battery can be made up of the required cells of a given capacity, rather than going parrallel. Obviously discharging to 60% on a regular basis is not the best thing to do, a shallower discharge will render more cycles, 8000 cycles  at 20% for the flooded is outstanding, even if one could get 6000, that is still impressive. Food for thought.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • liamg
    Options
    Thanks for your advices! I'm currently a "flooded" user but I thought I could give AGM a chance (after all, it was supposed to be an enhanced flooded technology).

I was not looking for the 60% DOD neither, it was for reference purpose only. Still, AGM/gel has some advantages over flooded technology: increased charging efficiency and higher charging/discharging currents (as the chemistry take place over the whole plate surface simultaneously).

If no one votes for the AGM, I'll go with the FLA then. I only have few days left to decide.. ;)   
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It comes down to the application and personal preference. As well as the advantages you noted, AGMs also don't generally vent gas, can be installed multiple orientations without spilling, and have lower self-discharge.

For me, none of the advantages except low self discharge are of much use to me for my main banks, and the ability to monitor SGs is important to me, so I use flooded. I do use AGM for other applications though.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • liamg
    Options
    Looks like I need all those advantages (off-grid installation, daily cycling) but being unable to restore the electrolyte level (in case of an accidental overcharging) is a giant NO.

Btw, speaking of rated temperature: I've seen some manufacturers referencing the battery parameters to room temperature (20°C, by example) while others using the electrolyte temperature (usually, 10°C higher than room temperature) as a reference.

That's it, 20°C (room temperature) or 30°C (electrolyte temperature) it's actually the same thing.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My electrolyte only gets 3°C or so warmer than ambient during normal daily cycling, and only in the last hour or so of charging. Most of the time it's about ambient temp.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • liamg
    edited September 2017 #11
    Options
    Oops.. you're right. I was under the impression of the manufacturer (biased) operating instructions.

Well, then it's a big difference between 20°C and 30°C rated life cycles.

I'm very disappointed that such a reputable manufacturer make use of these cheap marketing tricks to "enhance" his product specifications.

I think I"ll go with a flooded tubular traction battery then. At least, its life cycle (1200 at 80% DOD) is more realistically rated at 30°C.

Many thanks for keeping an eye on my further investment.. ;)