Fridge compressor too big or inverter or batteries too small?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭
A friend wanted solar for his recreational cabin.  He bought a new 24 volt Cotek PSW 1500 inverter from me after I did a lot of work on his trailer.

Then he got busy:
1000 watts of Renogy panels
4 T105 Trojan 6 volt batteries
Big old fridge made in the 90's
Cotek 1500 pure sine wave inverter

Plus he tied to the grid since that only costs $8000. He wants his solar set up to be capable of running the fridge and lights.

The inverter doesn't have the oomph to power through the compressor surge of the big, old 90's fridge. I suggested that a newer Energy Star fridge should be fine with the 1500 watt inverter. He liked that idea much better than spending well over $1000 for a larger, higher quality inverter.

The batteries are brand new and have 2/0 inter connects so I would guess the cables to inverter are appropriately sized. However...I consider it possible that four T105s *may not* provide optimal oomph for a significant compressor surge. There are 225 Ah/battery. These are 62 pound batteries according to Amazon...not even GC2 sized. Bit surprised by the 225 Ah rating.

Seems that fridges may have significant start up surge. My lights sometimes dim a little bit for a fraction of a second when my fridge kicks on. 

Also.....can this hurt the inverter? I think it may hurt the fridge compressor when there is inadequate power. I would guess that he got the old fridge for free though. It is a 90's fridge...at best. He seems comfortable with finding an Energy Star fridge.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
Tagged:

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Fully charged GC's should be able to start a fridge. Even though there are only four of them, they can develop a high surge current for several seconds. I would suspect the fridge in this case. As for damage to the inverter I can't say. Mine is one of the old style units with a transformer and is bullet proof compared to cheaper solid state inverters that I've seen fail.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • softdown
    Fully charged GC's should be able to start a fridge. Even though there are only four of them, they can develop a high surge current for several seconds. I would suspect the fridge in this case. As for damage to the inverter I can't say. Mine is one of the old style units with a transformer and is bullet proof compared to cheaper solid state inverters that I've seen fail.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone think a hard start kit might start the refrigerator. They use them on compressors when the compressor won,t start.  I could not get my compressor to start and bought one and installed it.  It has a capacitor to store up enough energy to give it a boost to start and runs normal.  you can get them from ebay for about $15 or less.
  • softdown
    solarvic said:
    Anyone think a hard start kit might start the refrigerator. They use them on compressors when the compressor won,t start.  I could not get my compressor to start and bought one and installed it.  It has a capacitor to store up enough energy to give it a boost to start and runs normal.  you can get them from ebay for about $15 or less.

They *might* also be called soft start capacitors. Yes....the fridge could likely be induced to work. 

However...it is foolishness to use a fridge that is not close to being Energy Star rated. The wear and tear on the batteries alone would costs much more than a used Energy Star fridge. 

Colorado has a lot of federal employees and quasi-execs. It is very easy to find very good, used fridges for less than $200 at ...say... Habitat stores. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Place a volt meter on the DC input to the AC inverter and see if you get a lot of sag when starting the fridge (or place an 800 Watt hair drier (or up to a 1,500 watt space heater) on your inverter and see what the voltage drop is.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    edited September 2017 #7
    BB. said:
    Place a volt meter on the DC input to the AC inverter and see if you get a lot of sag when starting the fridge (or place an 800 Watt hair drier (or up to a 1,500 watt space heater) on your inverter and see what the voltage drop is.

-Bill
    Good idea I'm sure. A large voltage decrease be indicative of insufficient power being available? That seems logical to me. Possibly due to a bad connections or too small of inverter cables. 

I use an identical inverter for powering a large 14 cubic foot freezer. The fan turns on for a second when the freezer kicks on. No struggle at all...and the freezer is serviced by at least 125' of  #12awg wire. Might be closer to 150'. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Long AC wiring from inverter to refrigerator/freezer load can actually be a help. The longer wiring+resistance reduces the high surge current. This is a version of "soft start".

Some folks have simply put a 100' (not heavy duty) extension cord on their refrigerators to fix "hard start" issues.

Obviously, too much resistance is not good either (motor will not start, more energy losses).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017 #9
    Using a long, thin gauge, AC extension cord, has been known to have enough resistance to aid (reduce) the starting surge, yet still pass enough power to properly run the compressor.
     (long cord on the AC side, not the low voltage DC wire runs)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    BB. said:
    Long AC wiring from inverter to refrigerator/freezer load can actually be a help. The longer wiring+resistance reduces the high surge current. This is a version of "soft start".

Some folks have simply put a 100' (not heavy duty) extension cord on their refrigerators to fix "hard start" issues.

Obviously, too much resistance is not good either (motor will not start, more energy losses).

-Bill
    New large Energy Star freezer may have a start up surge....................and the rest disappeared. The Post Comment button has "issues" for me. I waited several minutes for it to decide to become functional.