Magnum MMS inverter charger

Options
icarus
icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, Haven't been lurking around much but still in the game.  

I have a question regarding a Magnum MMS series inverter charger.  Magnum hasn't gotten back to me on the subject so I'll give you guys a shot.  Said inverter wired to 450 ah of FLA batteries, and 400 watts of PV.  The genny is a Honda Eu1000i.  The inverter puts out perfect 120 vac  line voltage from the 12 vdc battery bank, transfers 120 vac from the honda just as it should.  Equipped with the ME-RC remote the problem comes in when I run the genny and expect the unit to charge.  The remote shows "Charging (bulk (or absorb or float) 15 amps" as it should, but no current actually flows through to the batteries!  Confirmed with a Victron battery meter, as well as a clamp on ammeter.  When I double up the Honda, to 2 Eu1000s, the remote meter says, "Charging, 30 amps", but still no current flows through to the battery.  The inverter/charger acts like it is charging, at 30 amps displayed, the unit gets warm and the fan turns on.  Also, unplugging the remote, and resetting the inverter to the defaults does not change the issue.

Does anybody have a clue to what I may be missing, or do I have to convince myself to sent it to Magnum.  (I got the unit free, but I do rely on it but I don't wish to spend a fortune to fix it as I have other charge sources available).  

Once again thanks for any help, and I hope all of you are well,

Tony

Comments

• icarus
    Options
    Update,

I got the unit to charge, it seems there is a much longer delay once you apply genny power.  That sai, it won't charge yet through the remote.  I will do a complete reconfigure of the remote and see if that helps.  

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Hello Tony!

Very nice to hear from you. Hope all is going well for you and family.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you hear the generator lug down as it thinks it's charging the batteries  ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know about Magnum, but my Outbacks preferentially handle loads over charging up to a set limit. It's been a while since I've had to charge from generator, but I use either a 4kw diesel or an eu2000i, and sometimes get the settings wrong when switching between the two.

The Outbacks also have a variable lag from when they see AC in to when they ramp charger output (for generator warm-up). I wonder if there are similar settings with really conservative defaults in the Magnum?

The unit getting warm and the fan coming on sort of implies current going somewhere.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • icarus
    Options
    Bill, all's well (mostly with all) life just busy as always.  Mike, I can hear the genny load now when it is charging sans remote.  I'm pretty sure the issue is with a mis configuration of the remote, particularly the shore power parameters.  Estra, I'm beginning to think that the Magnum is smarter than me...no big surprise there.  

Thanks all for you help.  I try to keep in touch more, but since everything I have continues to work perfectly (present situation not withstanding) I don't seem time to lurk like I would like.  Glad to know that you are all still here, still doing it so well.

Tony
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember our chats about wildfires in Canada Tony.
    The one thing I did not see any mention of here, is the battery voltage increasing with the generator???
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tony,

Good to see you posting!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Marc, are you keeping your powder (I mean batteries) dry?

• Marc Kurth
    Options
    I missed this post! Been busy with my chainsaw helping neighbors. We live in a pine forest so the high winds and saturated soil worked together to drop 40'-60' tall pines.  We got 22" of rain over the weekend, but my home and my shop are on high ground - on opposite sides of the river, so zero problems. Here in Bastrop, the river came up 28' and flooded some homes, but it was much worse downstream in Smithville and LaGrange. It's hard to wrap my head around a river level that is 45' higher than normal.........They really got hit hard.

Thank for asking!

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Happy to hear this Marc!  We have been stuck inside with wildfire smoke again and glued to utube and Texas. Right now there are 8 big Tom Turkeys chasing my cats around the driveway providing entertainment. Be safe with that solar powered chainsaw ;)

• Marc Kurth
    Options
    Happy to hear this Marc!  We have been stuck inside with wildfire smoke again and glued to utube and Texas. Right now there are 8 big Tom Turkeys chasing my cats around the driveway providing entertainment. Be safe with that solar powered chainsaw ;)
    The vision of that part had me laughing!

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    You need some laughs. Hang in there!  I am just amazed at the people (good and bad) in Texas!

Most of the bad is the news readers and how dumbed down the networks have become. I saw a typical blonde blue eyed describing how the people on the roof were sharing the water from a "little bottle cap" of a bottle. It was pretty obvious it was a blue liquid, since it is the house brand here I knew it was Bombay Sapphire gin. She was telling them to be brave and they were laughing at her. She probably got a raise.

Not sure which one is worse, a fire or a flood. Probably a wildfire that is followed by a downpour and an earthquake that busts the Dam :)

It has been a mean season this summer in alot of places. I can't wait for fall!   be safe!

• icarus
    Options
    Solved the problem!  Simple Opperator error.  You know the old story, if it doesn't work, read the directions, if it still doesn't work...folly them.  Thanks all.

Ton