Power Vent battery fan stopped working

muirhouse
muirhouse Solar Expert Posts: 82 ✭✭
Good morning! I have two controllers - older xantrex 4024-8 s and a solar controller. I am not sure where to start troubleshooting to find why the Power Vent exhaust isn't blowing - and in meantime given that bedroom is right above basement bbox - is keeping bbox lids open a danger to thise above? Vic did you kept yours open while troubleshooting once? Thanks all for any input -Jan

Comments

• muirhouse
    muirhouse Solar Expert Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I mention the controllers because I am thinking I might need to check an aux relay setting? My battery temp sensors are not plugged thoug, so it must be voltage controlled and want to check that first just not sure where - but then what - check electronics on the fan itself? Brand is Power Vent.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming you haven't changed settings recently, I'd start at the fan and work back from there using a separate power source if possible. I have 6v lantern batteries around that I use for this sort of thing.

In the meantime, the degree to which having no fan in a danger depends on several things, including size and age of bank, air tightness of the space, proximity to ignition sources, etc. Mine are in a plywood box with a loose fitting lid in the enclosed crawlspace under the cabin. I plan to add venting, but haven't yet. In 4th year now with no problems so far.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter