Possible to reset my State of Charge meter on my Outback MATE?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
Something went wrong when I added a new battery bank with it's own set of 4/0 cables going directly to the inverter. The SOC meter says that was the last time a full charge was achieved. That was at least 14 days ago? The SOC keeps declining until hitting zero, I assume, then it starts over claiming a 100% state of charge.

I tried turning off all the switches including the big switch that turns off the inverter. Nothing changed, after the reset, in spite of waiting about 1/2 minute.

The only beef I have with Outback is the large number of manuals that come with it. I don't even know which manual to study. There could also be more room for two sets of 4/0 power cables. Well....losing the usefulness of the SOC meter is also perplexing.

I had everything turned off on the inverter when I hooked up the new battery bank.

Other than that, everything is working great. Starting the mornings at 50.0 volts in spite of hooking up both freezers to this main system. The back up 24 volt is experiencing problems that have not been sorted out yet.

Sorry for sidetracking here....I scored in the top quarter of the GRE yet feel somewhat helpless at times with modern electronics and technology. I wonder how those with "challenged intellects" are faring. Being "book smart" does not make one an electrical wizard of course.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    I don't know the Outback system, but others generally reset to 100% full when the Vabsorb voltage is over (for example) 59 volts for 4 hours. Otherwise the meters can drift (there may be "efficiency" parameters that can be set to fine tune the meter to your bank).

It sounds like your bank is not reaching/holding Vabsorb long enough, or something happened to the meter (is there a Vbatt-sense lead to the Outback system that fell off or got broken?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    BB. said:
    I don't know the Outback system, but others generally reset to 100% full when the Vabsorb voltage is over (for example) 59 volts for 4 hours. Otherwise the meters can drift (there may be "efficiency" parameters that can be set to fine tune the meter to your bank).

It sounds like your bank is not reaching/holding Vabsorb long enough, or something happened to the meter (is there a Vbatt-sense lead to the Outback system that fell off or got broken?).

-Bill
    A logical suspect for sure but likely not the problem here. At 9am, the voltage was already up to ~53 volts. I am *usually* done bulking by 10:30am. I have not seen the unit in the absorb mode very often at all. I will try to look more often today though a major thunderstorm is expected.

Perhaps I brushed against something in the controller while moving the temperature sensor to the new bank...

With no charging recommendation for my old 8D's I just used Outback's default charge settings. Those settings are almost identical to the recommended settings for my new 8D's.....so default settings remain in place.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    Options
    Bulk generally will only get a lead acid battery bank to ~80-85% full or so. Your bank needs to see "absorb voltage" of ~59 volts (for typical flooded cell lead acid battery bank) for 2-6 hours (2 hours if not heavily discharged, ~6 hours if discharged to 50% state of charge or lower--All numbers are very approximate).

Do you have a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of your battery bank (measure each cell and log. Check all cells ~1x per month, and check a "pilot cell" once or several times per day until you have a good handle on your battery bank performance).

Remote temperature sensors are very nice--But probably not the issue here even if bumped off the battery bank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't normally use the mate to track SOC, but it looks like you can check the parameters and status with status-fx-batt. It shows Vabs setting, actual and temp comp'd Vbatt, and absorb time remaining. I'd start there to see.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Options
    I get into float by noon unless the conditions are unusual. Got there by noon today in spite of clouds.

Since I  start the day at 50.0 volts, the issue can not be batteries that are not being fully charged. They have reached float by noon time every single day to my knowledge.

Something happened to the MATE.

While I am here...my impression of Outback equipment is still very good. Their instructions are about as clear as mud to me. Why so many manuals? Even reading straight from the manual, found that I had to do some "freestyling" to get back to default settings.

The fact that there are two sets of 4/0 inverter cables may be confusing it a bit. Had to use different posts.....and it was still tight as can be. Required grinding plastic protective caps to make everything go back together again.
  • BB.
    Options
    Not sure what 50 volts means?

Resting voltage for a flooded cell lead acid battery at room temperature with no loads or charging current (resting for 3+ hours) is around 12.7 to 12.8 volts (aka 50.8 to 51.2 volts for a 48 volt bank).

50 volts would be somewhere around 90% state of charge (all things being equal, which they rarely are).

Get a good glass hydrometer and measure the specific gravity.

- Bill
  • softdown
    Options
    BB. said:
    Not sure what 50 volts means?

Resting voltage for a flooded cell lead acid battery at room temperature with no loads or charging current (resting for 3+ hours) is around 12.7 to 12.8 volts (aka 50.8 to 51.2 volts for a 48 volt bank).

50 volts would be somewhere around 90% state of charge (all things being equal, which they rarely are).

Get a good glass hydrometer and measure the specific gravity.

- Bill
    50 volts is 12.5/battery.....about a 85-90% state of charge. Very good for 6am. These are AGM batteries currently floating at 55.2 volts since noon. They are fully charged today and have been getting fully charged everyday.
  • BB.
    edited August 2017 #9
    Options
    AGM, can't use sg meter on them.

Overnight voltage, that is not bad. And charging voltage is around 14.2-14.4 volts.

EQ is typically 14.4 volts held for a number of hours once every 6 months or so. (No elevated EQ voltages for agm). 56.8 volts minimum for absorb is typical for agm at 75F.

Of course, follow the battery mtg recommendations.

- Bill
  • Raddy
    Raddy Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    softdown said:
    I get into float by noon unless the conditions are unusual. Got there by noon today in spite of clouds.

Since I  start the day at 50.0 volts, the issue can not be batteries that are not being fully charged. They have reached float by noon time every single day to my knowledge.

Something happened to the MATE.

While I am here...my impression of Outback equipment is still very good. Their instructions are about as clear as mud to me. Why so many manuals? Even reading straight from the manual, found that I had to do some "freestyling" to get back to default settings.

The fact that there are two sets of 4/0 inverter cables may be confusing it a bit. Had to use different posts.....and it was still tight as can be. Required grinding plastic protective caps to make everything go back together again.

• Raddy
    Raddy Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    I have an outback 80 set up with six batts 24 volt, 2100 watts of panels etc. My problem is the outback says charged and will not drop back into charging the batteries when heavy load is applied. Will run the bank down to inverter cutoff. In the morning charges normally, but I think cuts off early again. What?
  • softdown
    Options
    Raddy....it is customary to start your own thread with your own challenge rather than divert another thread. Though I do appreciate your logic due to similarities.

Restoring to default values has failed in spite of the fact that I did it twice. It continues to bulk/absorb at 60 volts. The manufacturer recommendations for my AGM's is 58.8 volts. Not a huge difference but still cause for concern.

What to do? My MATE seems to be wandering aimlessly though most of its measurements seem to be accurate. The SOC meter is completely errant. Ability to reset to default seems to have ended.

I tend to suspect the two pairs of charging cables using different posts. But I like that configuration enough to lose the SOC read out. I still feel that voltage tells me more than a SOC meter...when loads are light.