Magnum PT-100: Power Status Code P04 - Help Please

lfmgtc59
lfmgtc59 Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
Hi All:

I finally today got my PT-100 up and running and all seems to have gone very smooth.

I do have a question though I hope someone can help me with, or point me in the right direction at least.

Everything looks good, except I am getting a Power Status Code of "P04". The manual gives a couple of sentences explaining this (pg51 / table 4-2), however I'm not really sure what I should be looking for in order to determine the exact nature of the fault and what to do to fix it.

Their one "hint" concerning the possibility of the PV array's VOC to close to battery voltage, does not seem to apply as I have around 37V from the PV array and a 12V battery bank.

Any help you can give would be very appreciated as I cannot find anything online concerning this.

The complete system consists of:

PT-100

MSH3012M

ME-ARC50

ME-BMK

8 Q-Cells Q.PLUS L-G4.2 330 (330W) - run in 8 individual strings to combiner box  (for specs see below)

(2) 800 AH 12V batteries (basically newly refurbished pallet jack batteries) connected w/ 4/0 AWG welding cable.

Also:

The Remote and PT-100 displays are only showing 0.9 kw for the entire array in full sun 90 deg to panel.  Could this be because of the power limiting caused by the P04 or is something else going on here?

Thank You
Lee

Panel Specs:

DC Electrical Characteristics

• STC Power Rating 330W
  • PTC Power Rating 305.4W 1
  • STC Power per unit of area 15.4W/ft2 (165.5W/m2)
  • Peak Efficiency 16.55%
  • Power Tolerances 0%/+3%
  • Number of Cells 72
  • Nominal Voltage not applicable
  • Imp 8.91A
  • Vmp 37.02V
  • Isc 9.49A
  • Voc 46.55V
  • NOCT 45°C
  • Temp. Coefficient of Isc 0.04%/K
  • Temp. Coefficient of Power -0.4%/K
  • Temp. Coefficient of Voltage -0.135V/K
  • Series Fuse Rating 15A
  • Maximum System Voltage 1000V

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Lee, I took a look at the manual. I don't use this charge controller but have some back ground. Bill and others likely understand the nature of the problem better than I do, but let me post a photo of the info and ask a couple questions;

As this has to do with perceived voltage, could you give us the size of your array and the size of your battery bank? Perhaps an undersized battery bank would have a voltage climb inside of the pulse...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • lfmgtc59
    lfmgtc59 Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I appreciate your quick response.. I edited the initial post to include the system specs, excepting the battery bank info; it is as follows:

(2) 800 AH 12V batteries (basically newly refurbished pallet jack batteries). 

Wire:
    8 AWG  all panels to combiner box
    2/0 AWG (welding cable) from combiner to PT-100
    2/0 AWG pigtail from PT-100 to Breaker & or Stud
    4/0 AWG from Breaker & or Stud to Battery